[Guide] USB Recovery drive not working? Try this...

If you're gonna create a guide... stick it in here!

Re: [Guide] USB Recovery drive not working? Try this...

by nememo » June 17th, 2015, 6:16 am

Good stuff!

I always found it incredibly difficult to tell when I was booting from a Recovery USB drive or the built in Recovery - as they look identical. Having an activity LED on your USB drive / USB>SD Reader really helps things!

There's no problems with leaving TPM, although next time you do restore I do suggest erasing it as it will start to get full of old keys.
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

by JR_bitter » August 4th, 2015, 1:48 pm

Hi Guys

I had the same issue as most of you, where the recovery partition on my Linx 10 did not work. But rather than trying to recover i did a clean install of Windows 10. (Launch day excitement)

This works fine after restoring drivers but i am unable to activate windows 10 as i did a clean install. (Small print says you must upgrade from previous version of windows)

I raised a case with Microsft to see if they could upgrade my key or provide windows 8.1 with bing image.
They said i have to speak to Manufacturer and regarding the license Microsoft supposedly have escalated my case but after 6 days with no further response, it seems unlikely they are going to help.

Exertis were more than unhelpful, they would not provide drivers or recovery media and just directed me to this site. (LOL i was already a member)

So my only option is to reinstall windows 8.1 and then upgrade to windows 10. (If i want to be legit)

However I tried windows 8.1 single language but this does not activate with the key embed in bios.

I did take a backup of my tablet before hand but the PC it was stored on died.

To make a very long and sad story short, i would like to carry out the steps mentioned in this thread but have no recovery files. Could somebody upload these files so i can try to recover by Linx 10 to factory?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Very

by danskeman » August 4th, 2015, 6:36 pm

I expect you are one amongst millions. It will take MS a while to sort such issues.
Premium Member
Premium Member

Retailer: Amazon

by JR_bitter » August 5th, 2015, 3:39 am

So i decided to install windows 8.1 pro and activate with a pro key from work
Then upgrade to windows 10
This worked i was activated on Windows 10 pro
realised i forget to reinstall the g-senor drivers for screen orientation
Accidentally restored the registry back up from a previous install of windows 10 and now i am deactivated again.
Now rolling back to windows 8.1
Recently i had been applauding Microsoft but now i am just annoyed and frustrated.
One of the reason i switched to OSX was i work in IT and got sick of fixing my PC when i got home. Ran windows on a VM and used that for work i was happy.
Then this cheap alternative to a surface came along and suckered me back into the Microsoft eco system

Retailer: Very

by nememo » August 5th, 2015, 6:15 am

Forgive me for asking, but why on earth would you restore the registry as opposed to simply installing the driver?!
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

by formulator » August 24th, 2015, 7:04 pm

Big massive thanks to nememo and also eforce as I followed both the Rufus method from nememo and the install method from eforce to bring back my Linx10 to fully working Windows 8.1 with Bing. Have made two copies of the now working USB drive now to put away (the Exertis in-built USB prep that I made when I bought the Linx10 did not work - poor show) and Exertis technical support was non-existent. Nice hardware, (wouldn't be without my Linxie) but poor support. My issue was I first had the webcam red LED light come on permanently and then later lost touch screen input. I tried to re-install by recovery but this just looped around and around - I think I cocked up the recovery partition somehow. Thanks once more nememo and eforce. :D :) ;) :lol:
Premium Member
Premium Member

Retailer: Sainsbury
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

by kaitlinsm » August 27th, 2015, 1:22 pm

@formulator, sounds like exactly the same problem as i've got except my restore data is hosed and I can't get hold of all the drivers, so my webcam light is on, the battery sensors don't work, and my Linx 10 is basically unhappy.

Anyone have the .swm files for the Linx 10 they can give to me?
moo x

Retailer: a shop
Windows Version: None

by nememo » August 27th, 2015, 1:41 pm

I've finally got hold of the necessary files for the 10 after all this time! Hopefully I'll get an iso for that sorted shortly and uploaded for all to use!
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

by kaitlinsm » August 27th, 2015, 3:33 pm

awesome nememo - incidentally, i've got a dd image of a 16gb usb stick that a colleague made of his stock Linx 8.

I'm wondering if it'd be worth setting up a bittorrent tracker to distribute these restore images?
moo x

Retailer: a shop
Windows Version: None

Re: USB Recovery drive not working? Try this...

by pimpas » December 4th, 2015, 1:46 pm

nememo wrote:
make sure your SWM files are saved***

[/code]

Hi. Where those files is located? I tried reinstall my tablet 10(make clean instalation ). On 66% all stopped and my tablet won't start at all. I could try to start from bios , but nothing else just try to repair options .... Originaly was windows 8.1 But i did upgrade to win10. So this tablet is completely bricked?

Thanks

Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

PreviousNext