Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Faster webbrowsing for 1GB tablets : Guides (All Devices)

Faster webbrowsing for 1GB tablets

If you're gonna create a guide... stick it in here!

Faster webbrowsing for 1GB tablets

by Cliff » January 29th, 2017, 7:42 am

This is how I made my 1GB Viglen Connect tablet which I picked up cheaper than my very first single core tablet faster than my main computer with the same Firefox browser.

1. Download and install the last free version of Softperfect RAM Disk which is v2-4-8 which is also the first version to support Windows 10.
(You can use any other Windows 10 compatible ram disk it doesn't need to be the above one, it was just the best to use for me at the time).

2. Make a 64MB ramdisk.
It doesn't need to start with windows if you prefer to have all your memory available by default, which I do. You can do this by setting the RAM-Disk program itself not to start with windows. Also use the menu ADD instead of pressing the usual button ADD when creating the ramdisk.

3. Click on the ramdisk in the program and set it to be portable so it can be switched on and off. Also change the drive letter to R:
(or any letter of your choice but I suggest G to Z to avoid conflicts with drives etc. which you might plug in later).

4. Download and install Sandboxie.

5. Create a new sandbox from the Sandboxie menu and name it something memorable such as Ramdiskbox copying the settings from Defaultbox.

6. Change the Ramdiskbox so that it makes the virtual files on the ramdisk (this is a tricky bit, you need to edit a file by hand)
Go to configure, Edit configuration (which opens Notepad so allow it rights when it asks), Look down the page until you find [Ramdrive]
Assuming you set the letter of your ramdrive to be R: you need to add an extra line of text above the existing settings to make it look like this...
Code: Select all
[Ramdrive]

FileRootPath=R:\Sandbox\%USER%\%SANDBOX%

7. Save and exit notepad, close all the little popups then have a coffee to steady your nerves.

8. Make a shortcut to your browser of choice (my preference is Firefox) and change it so that it starts in Sandboxie in Ramdiskbox
Example shortcut contents:
"C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" /box:Ramdiskbox "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

9. If you already use Sandboxie and had it installed before beginning this tutorial then Just do a quick doublecheck that the Ramdiskbox Filemigration setting is at the usual default 48MB (50000K) because you don't want it bigger than the ramdisk itself. For anyone else ignore this step.

All done, congratulations.

Remember to start the ramdrive when you want to browse through that sandboxie shortcut and enjoy browsing at super-speed. Unmount it when you want the memory it uses returned to you.

Let me know anything you think could make it easier, anywhere you got confused or stuck and how you got on trying it.

---------------------
If Firefox takes 30 seconds to start because Twain operations (for cameras and scanners etc) are blocked, this will reduce it to under 10...

Open the Sandboxie control window and choose Sandbox from the menu at the top
Go down the list to your sandbox then across to Sandbox Settings
Go to Resource Access - IPC Access - Direct Access then click on Add
Copy and paste the following into the text box that appears
*\BaseNamedObjects*\{a3bd3259-3e4f-428a-84c8-f0463a9d3eb5}
Click Apply, then OK and it's done.
Last edited by Cliff on March 9th, 2017, 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linx User
Linx User

Linx Tablet: Linx Versare 10"
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Faster webbrowsing for 1GB tablets

by Popc0rn » January 30th, 2017, 11:52 pm

This is worth experimenting with. But, I've found that MS Edge out performs all the other browsers and has several unique features. This said, no browser has a monopoly on taste or preference. So, I'll ask my missus if she'd like to try this on her Linx 8 and hopefully get back to you with some results.
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Amazon

by Cliff » January 31st, 2017, 1:55 am

Edge does have the advantage of no messing around to use it, but I mainly do it this way because I feel safer browsing.

I once hit a ransomware site on my main computer when an advert redirected me without warning from what should have been a safe site, it blocked all control to the computer and started encoding files (well it thought it was). Because the drives weren't being written to there was no problem using the reset button to put everything back to normal. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Edge could do that too.

Due to the ramdrive apart from the speed, there's almost no wear and tear on the storage media because everything written is being written to RAM.

Just so you know, anything too big for the file limit or ramdrive while browsing will let you know with a Sandboxie message box with options as a safety feature. but it's very unlikely to happen unless you choose to download something.
Linx User
Linx User

by F0LLETT » February 17th, 2017, 8:39 pm

Just disable flash plugin. Firefox fixed.
Also word of warning on RAMDISK, it will break alot of windows stuff. I was using a ramdisk on my gaming PC, I had it set to 4GB and stuff swap on it.
I wanted to install games for windows live, it refused install. In the end I removed ramdisk and it all started working.
Still ramdisk is a nice idea from the 80's used by the greatest computer to have ever been built (AMIGA), :). Nice to see companies still ripping technology from it.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision

by Cliff » February 19th, 2017, 5:35 am

F0LLETT wrote:Just disable flash plugin. Firefox fixed.
Also word of warning on RAMDISK, it will break alot of windows stuff. I was using a ramdisk on my gaming PC, I had it set to 4GB and stuff swap on it.
I wanted to install games for windows live, it refused install. In the end I removed ramdisk and it all started working.
Still ramdisk is a nice idea from the 80's used by the greatest computer to have ever been built (AMIGA), :). Nice to see companies still ripping technology from it.

I too preferred the flexibility of my now long gone and sold Amiga 1200's ramdisk which could expand automatically as files were added then shrink again with each deletion leaving the maxiimum memory available and could even hold a swap file but that was only safe because the Amiga's operating system was non-caching and could be turned off with a power switch instantly. I wouldn't ever put a PC swap file on a volatile ramdisk even when it's set to save to disk on shutdown.

Disabling flash isn't enough to keep you safe browsing, there can be zero day exploits in the browser or Windows itself, faked links and so on. If you fall victim you're more likely to come out of it intact if the browser is in sandboxie because anything that attempts to run from it is also kept sandboxed. I've tried full system sandboxing instead but wouldn't recommend it unless it's for a kiosk style system unlikely to need updating much.

I suspect your problem with GFWL failing to install with a ramdisk active may have been the particular ramdisk you were using. I've used the free Romex ramdisks since 2010 using 2.74GB of my 6GB ram which I couldn't otherwise use on a 32 bit operating system and although I can't say for certain the Softperfect ramdisk I've put on my Win10-64bit tablet will be as compatible I've not had any problems with that either so far.

I do wish it was simpler to try this method out because I know it will put a lot off giving it a go, it really speeds up browsing on a Windows tablet.
Linx User
Linx User