Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - [Guide] Linx7 Windows 10 image : Guides (All Devices)

[Guide] Linx7 Windows 10 image

If you're gonna create a guide... stick it in here!

[Guide] Linx7 Windows 10 image

by TechSkeech » April 27th, 2016, 9:53 am

Hello,

As per the plans I had on my last post where I showed you how to manually install Windows 10 with everything working on the Linx7, I have finally made an image for the Linx7. To use the image follow the steps below (video is incoming)

• Grab a flash drive (preferably an 8GB one), format it as NTFS, also make sure to name it "LINX7" (else it will not work
  • Download the image from the link below, extract the RAR file and then copy all the contents of the ZIP file to the USB drive. Once done safely eject it.
  • Connect the USB drive, with a keyboard to the Linx7. Turn on the Linx7 and immediately start tapping F7 on the keyboard, this will show you the boot menu. Select the USB drive with the arrow keys and press Enter to continue.
  • Windows PE will soon load and will format the Linx's drive, partition it, re-image Windows on it and also install the EFI bootloader on it. Once its done - Windows PE will automatically reboot. Make sure to remove the USB drive or the Linx might boot from it if you have any boot overrides in the BIOS.
  • The Windows 10 OOBE screen should show up asking you to enter language, etc.. (At this point the touchscreen and any other driver would already be working as its a custom image.)
  • When it asks you for the key, click on "Do it later" and Windows will later auto activate (if you have properly done the Windows 8 to 10 upgrade before)
  • Once you go through the OOBE setup (entering username, time zone, privacy settings, etc..) you'll be welcomed with the Windows 10 welcome screen after a couple of minutes. You may then enjoy the tablet with everything working while running Windows 10.

Download link for the image: You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register

As always if you have any issues please feel free to comment below, a YouTube video is also upcoming. I just need to find the time to make it.

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: eBay
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: [Guide] Linx7 Windows 10 image

by Amanygames » April 27th, 2016, 7:46 pm

could this also work for the linx 10?
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

by F0LLETT » April 27th, 2016, 8:39 pm

Amanygames wrote:could this also work for the linx 10?

It should but drivers may be an issue.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos

by TechSkeech » April 28th, 2016, 1:08 am

Do not attempt it, the Linx7 uses a completely different chipset then the Linx10 even tough its still a Baytrail CPU. The chipset is what makes battery management and all the other important functions work properly.

Then again, if enough interest is shown - I could get a Linx10, make it work properly with Windows 10 and later make an image.

by Amanygames » April 28th, 2016, 7:34 pm

nice! thanks for your reply! :)
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: amazon

by F0LLETT » April 29th, 2016, 9:56 pm

TechSkeech wrote:

Do not attempt it, the Linx7 uses a completely different chipset then the Linx10 even tough its still a Baytrail CPU. The chipset is what makes battery management and all the other important functions work properly.

Then again, if enough interest is shown - I could get a Linx10, make it work properly with Windows 10 and later make an image.

It should work, it will just work out and install the correct stuff if drivers are available.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos

by TechSkeech » May 1st, 2016, 9:03 am

F0LLETT wrote:
TechSkeech wrote:

It should work, it will just work out and install the correct stuff if drivers are available.

My guess is it would not even boot, as Sysprep would have injected the drivers by default when I made the image. The chance of this working is the same as grabbing an HDD from another PC and booting it from another PC.

To give you a better understanding, try using a DELL recovery media for a laptop with the Linx7, install will be fine but it would not boot at all and giving you them lovely BSOD's. If I wanted the image to work with any PC I would need to tell Sysprep to generalize the image, but that would defeat the point of an image for the Linx7 that would work with out of the box without the need to install drivers as all the drivers would be gone.

by Derek » August 2nd, 2016, 3:45 pm

Hi TechSkeech,

Tried this on my Linx7 and it all went as described except on reboot it just came up with the yellow-on-black EFI shell prompt instead of the OOBE screen. Assuming it's copied the image on correctly I how can I set it to boot that automatically? It's all greek to me at this point.

Thanks
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Retailer: Tesco!
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

by TechSkeech » August 4th, 2016, 5:38 am

Derek wrote:Hi TechSkeech,

Tried this on my Linx7 and it all went as described except on reboot it just came up with the yellow-on-black EFI shell prompt instead of the OOBE screen. Assuming it's copied the image on correctly I how can I set it to boot that automatically? It's all greek to me at this point.

Thanks

So this was after "Windows PE will soon load and will format the Linx's drive, partition it, re-image Windows on it and also install the EFI bootloader on it. Once its done - Windows PE will automatically reboot. Make sure to remove the USB drive or the Linx might boot from it if you have any boot overrides in the BIOS."?

If so please get into the BIOS' boot section and show me a picture to see if there is an EFI Windows boot loader detected.

by Derek » August 4th, 2016, 8:19 pm

Yes, that's where it was happening. I got into BIOS (sorry, no image as my camera's not working) and saw a Windows boot loader among the options, but 'EFI Shell' was the current option. I switched it to the Windows one, rebooted and bingo, we're into OOBE. Thanks so much :D
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Retailer: Tesco!
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

Next