Remove Advertisement

How to backup and restore Linx tablet using Macrium Reflect

If you're gonna create a guide... stick it in here!

How to backup and restore Linx tablet using Macrium Reflect

Postby danskeman » September 22nd, 2015, 11:25 am

How to backup and restore Linx tablet using Macrium Reflect Free (MRF).

IMPORTANT: This definitely works for my Linx 8 (and other have confirmed this as well) but cannot guarantee it for Linx 7 or 10. I see no reason why it would not work provided you can boot to a USB stick.

This guide shows steps needed to use MRF but does not go into detail how to use MRF itself. For more details see

You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register

I have recovered my Linx 8 at least 10 times with different versions of 10 and going back to 8.1 and it has been very reliable but you MUST FOLLOW Steps 1 AND 2 as insurance in case of rare event that MRF fails.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KeyRequirements:

a) USB OTG cable

b) USB Hub to connect several usb devices to OTG cable.
(Some OTG cables will handle several USB devices)

c) 2 USB sticks (1 min 1GB, and 1 min 8GB)

d) USB Hard Drive or USB large capacity stick (32 GB)

e) USB Mouse (and optional usb keyboard)

f) All sticks must be FAT32 formatted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creating Backups
----------------

1) Backup up all data to sd card and/or an external usb drive/stick.

2) Create a Windows Recovery Stick using min 8GB stick, and copy recovery partition files as well.
Put away safely in case it is needed later.

DO NOT UPGRADE TO 10 (or do any MRF recovery) UNLESS YOU HAVE DONE STEPS 1 AND 2

3) Download Macrium Reflect Free on to Linx tablet
You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register

4) Create Macrium Rescue USB stick (from Other Tasks menu).

5) Turn off Linx
Connect USB mouse, and Rescue stick via USB OTG cable
Boot to USB stick (for Linx 8 - press power on and vol up button for about 15 seconds, then select boot manager, and select USB drive - instructions may differ for other Linx tablets).
System should boot into MRF. Check Mouse is working.

6) Reboot Linx, and run MRF again (you can do it from Rescue drive but easier from Windows as touch facilites work and you would need to use a usb keyboard if doing it from rescue drive).

7) Make a backup image of main drive (all partitions) to external drive or 32GB USB stick.
If you have enough space on SD card, you can backup to that for convenience (but will need to copy to USB stick later).
You can use the 32GB stick as the Rescue Stick and copy image files to it as well if you prefer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Restoring Images
----------------

If something goes wrong with Linx, and Windows is not functioning, you can simply restore as follows:-

8) make sure Linx is is fully charged

9) Attach Rescue stick, USB mouse and Image Source (from step 7)

10) When MRF has loaded, click restore tab (top left hand side), select link to 'browse for an image file' and navigate to Image Source and select first file in list, and then proceed to restore image.

11) When complete, reboot PC (removing external devices)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caveats
-------

Of course, there is a small risk that the MRF recovery will fail eg due to a read error in usb stick etc.

As I said earlier, I think this will work on Linx 7/10 but have no means of trying it.

In this case, you would have to use Windows Recovery USB stick. Steps 1 and 2 are essential just in case.

In addition, you can use other methods in Linx Guide Section as well as a Plan B if you like.

You do all this at your own risk. It worked for me but in life crap happens.

You have to create the Macrium Rescue USB stick on Linx or a PC running 32bit windows.
If you create it on a 64bit PC it will not work - however 32bit version works on 64bit PC.

You can create a dual boot tablet to boot direct to MRF (other tasks menu) which means you do not even need
the restore iso in most cases. You still need the Rescue USB stick if windows is badly corrupted, or you get boot issues.
Note: you may have to recreate dual boot function if you upgrade to 10.
You still need to use USB mouse if booting to MRF via dual boot menu.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
danskeman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Remove Ad

Re: How to backup and restore Linx tablet using Macrium Refl

Postby Caravelle » September 22nd, 2015, 12:42 pm

Thank you ! How did you know I had just downloaded Macrium and was wondering what to do with it ?

Caravelle
Caravelle
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: ebay
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

Postby danskeman » September 22nd, 2015, 1:47 pm

Caravelle wrote:Thank you ! How did you know I had just downloaded Macrium and was wondering what to do with it ?

Caravelle

Actually, I read your post and I thought - I must write that guide I have been meaning to do!
danskeman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Caravelle » October 10th, 2015, 9:41 pm

Thanks again. May I ask a couple of questions please ?

2) Create a Windows Recovery Stick using min 8GB stick, and copy recovery partition files as well.

Where are the recovery partition files ? Is the recovery partition "hidden", as I can't see it in "This PC" ? Do I put these files on the Windows Recovery Stick or is that what the 1GB stick you mention is for ? (after saying it's needed you don't seem to mention it again :)

I admit to being thoroughly confused by all this. Win XP and Vista have been my usual fare for a very long time. I have lost a good many brain cells since "Programming the Z80" by Rodney Zaks was my bedtime reading and now I can only concentrate on something for 5 minutes before I lose track and forget completely... I have read and re-read the long thread on creating a recovery stick, but as far as I can see they just don't work on the Linx 7, which is what I have, without a lot of complicated tinkering which looks beyond me. I have made one anyway, because you say it's vital ;)

Caravelle
Caravelle
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: ebay
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

Postby danskeman » October 15th, 2015, 10:51 am

Caravelle wrote:Thanks again. May I ask a couple of questions please ?

Where are the recovery partition files ? Is the recovery partition "hidden", as I can't see it in "This PC" ? Do I put these files on the Windows Recovery Stick or is that what the 1GB stick you mention is for ? (after saying it's needed you don't seem to mention it again :)

I admit to being thoroughly confused by all this. Win XP and Vista have been my usual fare for a very long time. I have lost a good many brain cells since "Programming the Z80" by Rodney Zaks was my bedtime reading and now I can only concentrate on something for 5 minutes before I lose track and forget completely... I have read and re-read the long thread on creating a recovery stick, but as far as I can see they just don't work on the Linx 7, which is what I have, without a lot of complicated tinkering which looks beyond me. I have made one anyway, because you say it's vital ;)

Caravelle

You need an 8GB stick for the windows recovery drive.

To create it

control panel, recovery, create recovery drive, click checkbox, click ok

1GB stick is for Macrium Rescue usb stick.
danskeman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby danskeman » October 17th, 2015, 12:43 pm

Macrium Reflect Free has just been updated to version 6.1.871.

I can confirm it works fine on a linx 8.
danskeman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby cooa99 » January 29th, 2016, 11:45 am

Hi guys,

I have got bought a Linx 1010B with keyboad

My 1st task will be to clone the drive with MRF before 1st boot.

Can I create the MRF usb stick from e.g. a windows 7 machine/VM or does it have to be a PC with UEFI + 32bit Windows 10 OS?

Since the clone will contain all partitions, Is it possible for MRF to restore individual partitions (like acronis..)?

Thanks

cooa99
cooa99

Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: amazon

Postby danskeman » February 6th, 2016, 9:18 pm

It is easier to do it on the Linx.

You can also create a dual boot option.

You do not need the usb drive to create a backup, but you do need to either boot fron usb drive, or dual boot option to restore OS.

You can restore individual partitions.
danskeman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby F0LLETT » February 7th, 2016, 10:58 am

One key feature that seems to have been left out.
Network backup. Real life saver if you haven't got a big enough usb device to hand. I have used this method many times when using acronis.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos

Return to Guides (All Devices)