Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Install Android to USB and keep any changes after reboot! : Guides (All Devices) - 2

Install Android to USB and keep any changes after reboot!

If you're gonna create a guide... stick it in here!

Re: Install Android to USB and keep any changes after reboot

by Griryu » August 19th, 2015, 12:17 pm

Imy85 wrote:Can't wait for the dual boot guide. Well done!

Yeah it seemed to work fine while testing. The last thing I need to do is get the dual boot menu set as the default from when the device first starts up. Once that's done I will get the guide posted up. I think I can also get Linux installed onto it too although I will be running very low on HDD space if I did.
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

by danskeman » August 19th, 2015, 12:36 pm

Griryu wrote:
danskeman wrote:Couldn't get it to work on Linx 8 - created install drive ok, and installed ok. Second drive start to boot up, and you get initial menu, then it just hangs forever with a blank screen.

It might be worth disabling secure boot if you haven't done it already. Other than that try format the pen drive again in case something went wrong with the install. Also if you are using a slow USB device or Micro SD there will be the odd issues popping up.

On another note i have successfully dual booted Windows and Android tonight on my tablet without using a USB or MicroSD. I can also use the SD card slot to save android games to it! I will post up some instructions for it soon and if you have already followed this guide you will be able to transfer the contents from your USB to a new partition on the tablet and it will work without having to reinstall etc.

Secure boot is disabled. For some reason, the. 2nd step failed on my San Cruzer Extreme when trying to install Grub (just sat there).
Managed to create boot usb on a spare udb hard drive, and this started to boot ok, and I could select android. On my tablet, it just hanged.

I tried same on PC and it got a bit furthrr hanging after a large Android text appeared on screen.

I did step 2 on my PC which has 64bit W10. Could that be the problem - should I have used tablet as 32bit?
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

by Amanygames » August 19th, 2015, 2:09 pm

but wont we need a keyboard to use the dualboot menu?
Premium Member
Premium Member

Retailer: amazon

by danskeman » August 19th, 2015, 3:08 pm

I have windows 10 and macrium reflect free boot partition, and at dual boot menu, touchscreen works, so I guess answer is no.
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Amanygames » August 19th, 2015, 4:46 pm

danskeman wrote:I have windows 10 and macrium reflect free boot partition, and at dual boot menu, touchscreen works, so I guess answer is no.

oh, thats good, thanks ;D
Premium Member
Premium Member

Retailer: amazon

by Dann » August 19th, 2015, 5:30 pm

Griryu is working on the guide and will post it soon.

If anyone has any experience with kernels and android, we'll need a bit of help to get this 100% perfect!
Dann
Admin
Founder/Admin
Founder/Admin

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Staples UK

by danskeman » August 19th, 2015, 5:56 pm

I started again, creating install disk on Linx 8, and tried to install via Linx 8 but got error messages.

Then I went to my Laptop for part 2, and used that to install, and it worked worked ok.

I tried to boot into disk via my laptop, and was surprised - it worked quite well to a point.
Only hurdle I came up against was when I installed a test app, the screen rotated, with the app on its side (on a phone/tablet, you would have the phone held in portrait mode). Also, mouse actions were sideways too (correct for portrait mode), making it hard to navigate (my pc does not have touch screen).

So I was positivised (yes its a real word I just discovered) by this, and then tried it on my Linx 8. It recognised the boot drive, booted from it, got to the selection menu, and I clicked on the top line (not debug line). Screen went blank and drive flashed away looking as if it was working, then eventually nothing.

So something (technical term) is not working on Linx 8.

Will try debug mode and see if that gives a clue.
Premium Member
Premium Member

by danskeman » August 19th, 2015, 6:11 pm

Ok tried debug mode - got so far with loads of messages flashing on screen. The it stopped, and jumped into something call busybody ash, and a message to type exit to continue. Typed exit, executed 6-10s ( not sure as screen then went blank again and nothing after that).
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Griryu » August 19th, 2015, 7:56 pm

danskeman wrote:Ok tried debug mode - got so far with loads of messages flashing on screen. The it stopped, and jumped into something call busybody ash, and a message to type exit to continue. Typed exit, executed 6-10s ( not sure as screen then went blank again and nothing after that).

There might be something different with the Linx 8's then, i am just curious but what android image are you using? Also what is the file type?
Premium Member
Premium Member

Retailer: Argos

by danskeman » August 19th, 2015, 10:31 pm

The same one you suggested.
Premium Member
Premium Member