Remove Advertisement

Install Android to USB and keep any changes after reboot!

If you're gonna create a guide... stick it in here!

Install Android to USB and keep any changes after reboot!

Postby Griryu » August 17th, 2015, 6:54 pm

It took a few attempts but i think i have found a quick an easy way to install and run android from the USB port on the Linx 10. This may or may not work on the other Linx tablets since i don't own any others i can't test this for myself.

For anyone who wants to run this from a micoSD card you can just use the same instructions, the only downside is that you need to use an adapter and connect it through the USB port anyway... Until someone figures out how to boot from the built in MicroSD card slot...

I take no responsibility for any damages or data loss this may cause to your devices! Be careful and don't do anything if your are not willing to accept the consequences of this going wrong!

Things you will need:
    1. Two USB devices (Preferably) but this should also work if you have already installed the android installer to a disk.
    2. USB formatting utility called Rufus (See part 1 for the link)
    3. Androidx86 EFI Image (See part 1 for the link)
    4. A computer or laptop that you can access the BIOS from or startup the Android Live installer.
Some quick notes on each section:
[*]Part 1 Shows you how to setup a live USB. This is going to be used as your installer.
[*]Part 2 Shows you a safe way to format the USB drive that you want to install Android to.
[*]Part 3 Shows you how to Boot android from Windows.
This has worked for me every time. Let me know if you run into any problems after following these instructions.

Part 1: Create a LIVE USB installer!
    1. We need to create a bootable USB drive so download Rufus 2.2 from here You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
    2. Download Android-x86 4.4-r3 EFI image from here You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
    3. Plug in your USB drive and double click on Rufus to start it.
    4. Once you can see Rufus go straight to Format Options and click the small disk icon. Browse to the Androidx86.img file you downloaded in step 2 an select it. The rest of the format options should auto configure as needed.
    Note: If you cannot see the file click the "ISO Image" option in the bottom right and change it to "All Files"
    6. Click start. When the install is finished close Rufus and disconnect your USB device. You can now use this USB drive to install the Android OS other devices.

Part 2: Setup your Android USB!

Note: From this part onwards i was using my laptop to go through the install.
WARNING!: Be very careful to select the right devices and options moving forward!
    1. Boot from your Android Live installer.
    2. Once at the menu insert the second USB drive. Select "Detect Devices" from the menu.
    3. If your second USB has appeared select it now and proceed. Make sure you can recognise the devices in the list. Making the wrong choice here is likely to cause data loss.
    3. Format the USB to FAT32
    4. Install Grub
    5. Install Grub2
    6. Say yes to Read/Write
    7. Say yes to create disk image. If your USB is big enough select the maximum size 2047.
    8. When finished select restart, when the laptop turns off you can now use this USB with your Linx Tablet but this time you will be able to save your changes.
Part 3: Boot to Android from Windows
    1. Boot into Windows
    2a. Windows 10 users should click start>Settings>Update & Security>Recovery>Advanced Startup>Restart Now
    2b. Windows 8.1 users should swipe from the right of the screen>Settings>Change PC Settings>Update and Recovery>Advanced Startup>Restart Now
    3. Select "Use a Device" and select your Android USB that you setup in part two. If it does not appear try "UEFI:Removable Device" instead.
    4. You should now be booting into Android. Once you have gone through the setup you should be able to save around 1.5 GB of space. The remaining space will be mounted as a USB in Android automatically.
That's it! You may already know how to do this but this will be useful to others. Hope everything works out and let me know if you managed to get yours working too.

You can increase the size of the save-able space in Android but i have not managed to find a way to do this successfully. I will make another post when/ if i do manage to do it.
Griryu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Remove Ad

Re: Install Android to USB and keep any changes after reboot

Postby danskeman » August 18th, 2015, 12:10 am

Does "secure boot" need to be disabled?
danskeman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Amazon

Postby Amanygames » August 18th, 2015, 12:59 pm

works perfectly! now, we need to find out how to boot from sd card
thanks!!
Amanygames
Premium Member
Premium Member

Retailer: amazon

Postby Griryu » August 18th, 2015, 4:15 pm

danskeman wrote:Does "secure boot" need to be disabled?

I did not have to disable Secure boot for this. However it should still work even if you have already disabled secure boot.

Amanygames wrote:works perfectly! now, we need to find out how to boot from sd card
thanks!!

Glad to see it worked for you, let me know if you make any progress on booting from the SD card. I am going to try something tonight which may or may not work. :lol:
Griryu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby danskeman » August 18th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Couldn't get it to work on Linx 8 - created install drive ok, and installed ok. Second drive start to boot up, and you get initial menu, then it just hangs forever with a blank screen.
danskeman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Amazon

Postby Griryu » August 18th, 2015, 10:59 pm

danskeman wrote:Couldn't get it to work on Linx 8 - created install drive ok, and installed ok. Second drive start to boot up, and you get initial menu, then it just hangs forever with a blank screen.

It might be worth disabling secure boot if you haven't done it already. Other than that try format the pen drive again in case something went wrong with the install. Also if you are using a slow USB device or Micro SD there will be the odd issues popping up.

On another note i have successfully dual booted Windows and Android tonight on my tablet without using a USB or MicroSD. I can also use the SD card slot to save android games to it! I will post up some instructions for it soon and if you have already followed this guide you will be able to transfer the contents from your USB to a new partition on the tablet and it will work without having to reinstall etc.
Griryu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Dann » August 18th, 2015, 11:45 pm

Griryu wrote:
danskeman wrote:Couldn't get it to work on Linx 8 - created install drive ok, and installed ok. Second drive start to boot up, and you get initial menu, then it just hangs forever with a blank screen.

It might be worth disabling secure boot if you haven't done it already. Other than that try format the pen drive again in case something went wrong with the install. Also if you are using a slow USB device or Micro SD there will be the odd issues popping up.

On another note i have successfully dual booted Windows and Android tonight on my tablet without using a USB or MicroSD. I can also use the SD card slot to save android games to it! I will post up some instructions for it soon and if you have already followed this guide you will be able to transfer the contents from your USB to a new partition on the tablet and it will work without having to reinstall etc.

If you can do that, that'd be AMAZING!
Dann
Admin
Dann
Founder/Admin
Founder/Admin

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Staples UK
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

Postby Phil G » August 19th, 2015, 8:55 am

can any 1 confirm that all aspects of the device are working with this android build
Phil G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Retailer: online
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

Postby Imy85 » August 19th, 2015, 8:59 am

Can't wait for the dual boot guide. Well done!
Imy85
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

Postby Griryu » August 19th, 2015, 12:10 pm

Phil G wrote:can any 1 confirm that all aspects of the device are working with this android build

As far as I can tell it's just the following issues.
    1. The rotation works in the opposite direction. Rotation can still be disabled to get around this.
    2. The sound does not work at all (Yet).
    3. If the device goes to sleep while running android it only wakes up using the keyboard.
    4. The red activity light next to the camera is permanently lit up.
    5. Games that block root access may not work. (Currently this has only happened with the Square Enix "Chaos Rings" games)

As far as it goes for stability it is near perfect (in my opinion). I have a post somewhere else on the forums with some benchmark results from Antutu and 3D mark and they are very impressive.
Griryu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Guides (All Devices)