Advertisements on the site

Post any feedback you have on Linxtablet.co.uk here (be nice though!)

What price range are you happy paying to remove adverts on your account?

£0 - £5
71%
£5 - £10
7%
£10 - £15
7%
£15 - £20
7%
Other
7%

Total votes: 14
Dann
Founder/Admin
Founder/Admin
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Staples UK
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

May 13th, 2015, 11:15 pm

Hello guys!

In the coming weeks we're going to be implementing advertisements on the website to help gain some revenue for hosting, domain and running costs etc. Its not a choice we've taken lightly but we feel now is the right time to do this.

We've not finalised all the plans/pricing just yet, but i wanted to make a quick post to give you an idea of our intentions...

1) Adverts will be placed on the site in different areas of the Index page as well as topics and footers of the page.

2) We're going to be offering lifetime plans to "upgrade" to remove the adverts, these will involve paying a small fee, and adverts will be removed off the site on your account

3) Original members will receive a FREE lifetime upgrade, which means that you guys will never view adverts, it was hinted when we put the original members rank up there to join.

Again, this is something thats going to be happening in the next few weeks, so we may experience a few site issues and a few loose screws but we're planning on working on this during the night to impact as few users as possible.

Its over to you...

I've added a Poll to this post to get an idea of what sort of price you guys feel is acceptable.
Dann
Admin
Flibblebot
Premium Member
Premium Member
Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: A retailer

May 15th, 2015, 12:05 pm

To be honest, I don't mind the odd advert here and there as long as they're not too intrusive and do at least match the topic of the website - banner ads and perhaps an ad down the side of the page.

One definite no-no is Skimlinks (those green links that appear within the text of webpages) - I've been member of a couple of forums where that was tried, and the backlash was instant and completely negative: people don't like Skimlinks and find them too intrusive, especially on a forum where they're turning our words into adverts. Another no-no are those adverts that take over the screen or start playing a video (with sound) straight away. That's a quick way to drive people away.
Dann
Founder/Admin
Founder/Admin
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Staples UK

May 15th, 2015, 2:05 pm

Flibblebot wrote:To be honest, I don't mind the odd advert here and there as long as they're not too intrusive and do at least match the topic of the website - banner ads and perhaps an ad down the side of the page.

One definite no-no is Skimlinks (those green links that appear within the text of webpages) - I've been member of a couple of forums where that was tried, and the backlash was instant and completely negative: people don't like Skimlinks and find them too intrusive, especially on a forum where they're turning our words into adverts. Another no-no are those adverts that take over the screen or start playing a video (with sound) straight away. That's a quick way to drive people away.
We're looking at adverts on topic pages, and headers for the time being, they'll definitely not be the Skimlinks you mentioned, they're annoying!
Dann
Admin