Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Microsoft Band! : Off Topic

Microsoft Band!

If its off topic, this is the place to go!

Microsoft Band!

by Dann » April 11th, 2015, 2:46 pm

Has anyone pre-ordered or wanting to preorder a microsoft band?

They kinda look pretty cool.. they obviously need to be pared to a phone but i quite like the look of them!

You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
Dann
Admin
Founder/Admin
Founder/Admin

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Staples UK
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Microsoft Band!

by gh97 » April 12th, 2015, 3:29 pm

Looks cool but pricey :-( Compatible with iOS and Android though suprisingly
Linx 8 owner
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Ebuyer
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

by CocoPops » April 15th, 2015, 9:16 am

Still undecided.

M'soft Band or Apple Watch or nothing?
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

by alynsparkes » April 15th, 2015, 3:11 pm

I've had one delivered today. Unfortunately, due to a power outage at work, I've not been able to play with it (it needs to be charging at first use according to the instructions). I've fitted the screen protector I got free with it (via the Microsoft Store) and checked it fitted my wrist, but that's it.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx Versare 10"
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

by alynsparkes » April 18th, 2015, 1:49 pm

alynsparkes wrote:I've had one delivered today. Unfortunately, due to a power outage at work, I've not been able to play with it (it needs to be charging at first use according to the instructions). I've fitted the screen protector I got free with it (via the Microsoft Store) and checked it fitted my wrist, but that's it.

OK, had this thing for a couple of days now. Probably better tell you where I'm coming from first:
I normally wear a watch every day, and take it off at night. My regular watch is a heavy, metal banded, analogue with the date displayed. My secondary watch is a bulky digital Timex "sport watch" with a Velcro wrap-strap. More personally, I prefer tech that works well, regardless of looks and used to write for PCPro magazine (before they went downhill, obviously :D ). I bought the band principally for its smart-watch functions, not really its fitness ones (although God knows I could use it!)

Anyway. First worry over, I bought the right size! I got Large, and depending on what I'm doing the strap fits at between 1/3 and 2/3 of its travel. There are eight "clicks" in the strap, so you fasten it loosely, then squeeze it closed to "comfortably tight". I've chosen to wear it with the screen facing inwards because of the screen's landscape-only orientation - having to flex my arm to get the right angle with the screen on the back of my wrist felt uncomfortable and made typing on the keyboard (even more) awkward. Simply turning my hand over is much better. I'm also wearing it behind the Ulna/Radius lumps in my wrist. Lots of the photos show it between those and the palm - I suppose on the assumption that since that's where everyone is taught to take the pulse from, that's where the sensor should sit. I found it severely restricted my wrist flexing though, so moved it back to where a normal watch sits. After wearing it now almost solidly for over three days, I don't notice it at all.

Setting the watch up went fine. It needed a firmware update straight away, which I was sort of expecting. I'd already got the Microsoft Health app on my phone (Lumia 820), so after the new firmware loaded I just turned on Bluetooth and paired them using the number that appears on the band's screen. I'm assuming anyone who's interested has read reviews now, so knows about all the tiles. One that might not be obvious is the "notifications" tile. This one gathers up all the notifications that aren't covered by a specific tile like Facebook and Twitter are - ebay, Telegram, Parcel Tracker etc. The Cortana tile is slightly odd - you get the headlines that Cortana's selected for display, and occasional traffic information about your drive home (or to work). I decided I didn't have much use for that, but was a bit worried about deleting it in case I lost access to the other Cortana features - turns out I needn't have worried, everything still worked once I removed it.

One limitation is that you can only have 13 (I think) tiles on the band at a time. The Settings tile is always there, which gives you 12 to play with and there a 19 to choose from as standard. With a few third party apps now about now too (torch and camera-control are two I'm using), you do need to make choices about what stays.

I have briefly tried the run tracking. GPS samples every 10 seconds or so - I'm not sure how this compares with other GPS-enabled fitness bands, but car GPSs tend to sample every second (but then they're going much quicker). Don't, therefore, expect pinpoint accuracy. A useful feature of the Health app is that when the route is overlayed on a map, each section shows your pace as either slow, normal or fast (in relation to the whole run) - it doesn't include your heart-rate per section though, that's left to just average, min and max. It does also show your ending heart-rate, and what it then was 1 minute and 2 minutes after the run ended, giving you an indication of your recovery time.

I've not tried any of the fitness programs yet.

Sleep tracking is very interesting. You do have to tell it when you're actually lying down to sleep and when you get up, but that stops it starting the sleep track if you're just reading in bed, or stopping if you're just going to the loo. Reading the data in the Health app, it's shows how long it actually took you to drop off, what you heart rate was over the course of the night, when you woke up overnight and periods of light and deep sleep. Everything seems to match up to my experience, so I'm going to call it accurate for now.

So making the assumption that I'm quite pleased with how it all works, what are my frustrations? Firstly, notifications actioned on the Band are not removed from the notifications on the phone - that's been mentioned elsewhere in many reviews. Secondly, if the Band moves out of Bluetooth range of the phone, it doesn't always reconnect when it comes back. Cycling Bluetooth on the Band gets around this, but is a pain when it should be seamless. This latter issue may be the fault of my phone - its a 3 year old Lumia 820, so doesn't have the latest electronics in - perhaps newer Lumias keep better track of what they should be connected to.

Any other questions, I'm happy to answer them if I can.

Cheers,
Alyn.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx Versare 10"
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home