Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Windows VS Android : Off Topic

Windows VS Android

If its off topic, this is the place to go!

Windows VS Android

by JAHLU » February 19th, 2015, 5:11 pm

I had this debate discussion with a friend, recently, which was quite interesting.

What is your take on it? I gather most of us are going to be biased because we all have or will soon have a Linx tablet with of course Windows 8.1 on it, but I wanted to see what angles you guys could come up with.

Here's what my friend and I came up with:

The Windows Tablet

Pros:

1. Full desktop with all its features, a lot of which aren't on Android, at least natively.

2. Better gaming support, since you can use the many zillions of games easily found online. Also, support for the full Steam program, and other similar porgrams, like Origin and Uplay. While Android does have games, they are often generic, money-grabbers, or ad-covered games that are just not as great as, say, some of the full games you can play from Steam. Hell, IMO, even websites like You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register have free games that are of better quality than most of the ones I've seen on Android.

3. More customisability, natively, with options for a considerable amount more. Windows 8.1 isn't, natively, anywhere near as visually customisable as Windows 7, Vista, and XP, but there are still options available to you, provided you can render rich themes the likes of which can be found, downloaded, and used by programs such as WindowBlinds. (not free, however, and may pose a risk for the OS' stabilityy) While Android has the ability to customise plenty, you have to go changing ROMs, "hacking" your device to really change it. I haven't used Android since my current phone, which I believe is 4.0.1, so I may not have the latest information, here.

4. Full support for pretty much all Windows applications (if not a definitie "all") since you can run executables, unlike Android, based on Linux. Not only does this mean you can happily run most of the applications you run on your desktop or laptop, but that you can also avoid all the ad-riddled, money-grabbing junk often found on the Google Play store. While Windows does have its own store, for which you need an account, it's optional, unlike Android, unless you want to go above and behind the call of duty in downloading the apk files from potentially dodgy sites, often giving them considerable access to your device, which can be quite the security concern, especially if you have a 3G-enabled device.

Cons:

1. Can be a pain to use without a stylus, especially with the 7 and 8 inch devices, at least when not using Windows' own touch-designed interface. Not a problem if you have a case and are happy to use a stylus, or have small enough fingers and are precise enough to not struggle, but for some, it's a neusance.

2. Perhaps not as user-friendly as Android. To me, Android is rather simplified. Since Windows is a full desktop operating system, designed for cooperate and personal use alike, it has to have a bit of both worlds for both Mr. Bloggs and Lord Fancypants. I imagine the Android appeals to both younger and older folk, more specifically, those who aren't familiar with Windows, and so want something easier to learn.

3. When pointing out that Android is based on a mobile platform, thus it has limitations, my friend says, "I can't say I've noticed any limitations," which leads me to the 3rd con, in that while Windows may have a crapton of features, it might be needlessly feature-rich (to the point of confusion?) for the average Bloggs who doesn't care to do some of the wonderful things Windows can do. My friend's certainly not an average Bloggs, but he has a laptop (with Windows 8.1) for these things, so really, he doesn't care to have those typical desktop features on a tablet/phone.

4. This point will vary depending on the user, but for me, security is a primary concern, so I would say that a con for Windows devices, is that they require an anti-virus suite, with a decent firewall to boot. On Android, this is allegedly unnecessary.

There is one more argument but can be used both for each OS varient: familiarity - from the perspective of Windows, most of the world is using Windows, right down to XP (many ATMs still use it!) which means most of us are familiar with Windows. By that same merit, Android has been popular for a long time - commercially released in 2008 - often found on our mobile devices, so we're pretty familiar with that, too. However, most of the world, those of which are using Windows operating systems on standard computers, are using Windows 7 and XP. Windows 8.1 isn't popular, despite the fixes and the fact it's now actually quite a decent operating system, which means people are likely less inclined to go the Windows 8.1 tablet route; this goes in favor of Android, as it has been, as far as I know, pretty consistent in quality at least since I first tried it around the 3.0 area.

I hope this got you thinking, and feel free to add something that is for or against a Windows tablet with respect to an Android tablet.
Something really clever and insightful stupid goes here.

Guitarist, computer geek, lover of the German language, on-and-off gamer, and love improving my fitness and overall health.
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: PC World

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Windows VS Android

by adamk357 » February 19th, 2015, 6:06 pm

Well easy solution, do a dual boot (when someone finds the best way of doing so), so you have the option to choose windows and android on start-up, something you can't do on a purely android tablet, also most people are buying windows tablets as a replacement to their pc/laptop not as an accessory.
Linx User
Linx User

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Amazon

by JAHLU » February 19th, 2015, 6:17 pm

"most people are buying windows tablets as a replacement to their pc/laptop not as an accessory." - really? I wasn't aware of that. I suppose it would make a decent replacement. I'm just thinking it's good for portability, when traveling and stuff. It certainly wouldn't replace my desktop, because it's substantially more powerful with a much bigger screen. For someone who doesn't need to do much on a desktop computer that requires a lot of performance, I can see how it would be a good replacement.

"Well easy solution, do a dual boot" - at the cost of a lot of disk space, (and possible risk of bricking the device?) which is already spread thin. I don't think this is an option for most people, because of disk space and the hassle, ... I'd see it being more likely someone would pick one or the other, rather than trying to cram both into the same device. I can understand dual-booting, as I've done the same with my desktops over the years, but on a device like a laptop, I can't see it being worthwhile. Not to mention I'd be installing something that Windows can probably already do. Nope, I'm not sold on this one. :p Anywho, this wasn't a "how to have both", it was a comparison between the two.

Guitarist, computer geek, lover of the German language, on-and-off gamer, and love improving my fitness and overall health.
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

by adamk357 » February 19th, 2015, 6:44 pm

True, though I myself would love a dual boot on my linx 8 and have decent apps from android and while still being able to use windows, remember though space can be expanded through sd and you can trick windows into thinking its an internal hard drive (there's a guild somewhere on the forums here) and while it isn't as powerful as a decent desktop it certainly tries, my linx 8 can run programs better than my £400 laptop (2 years old) which had 5gb ram and my £900 All-in-one pc I got back in 2010 which had 4gb of ram, I now don't use them at all now, but instead have my tablet hooked up to a monitor and attach a USB hard drive & hub and find it to work great, and when I want portability, just unplug, and I can carry everything with me, I use it mainly for my design work and to be honest, I haven't come across a single issue, honestly it amazes me how fast it is.
Linx User
Linx User

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Amazon

by JAHLU » February 19th, 2015, 8:28 pm

Wow. 'o.O Sounds amazing. I'm so excited to get one, ... I think I might be so excited that I just can't hide it, because I know, I know, oh I know I just want one. :P

Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

by westonpf » February 20th, 2015, 7:42 am

Look on aliexpress or Geekbuyer and loads of their tablets dual boot Windows and Android 4.4.

Specs are similar to Linx andHudl2 so performance should be comparable on both sides.
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

by Lol999 » May 3rd, 2015, 9:09 pm

I just bought the Linx 10 to replace a much loved Nexus 7. I went for a windows tablet because from Kitkat onwards the Nexus has been hamstrung with locking up, freezing and glacial speeds, sad thing is on jellybean this thing flew! What I like about windows is you get a stable release only every so many years, and with win 10 being optimised towards tablets my Linx is unlikely to get left behind.

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Ebuyer