Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - What comes next? : Off Topic

What comes next?

If its off topic, this is the place to go!

What comes next?

by nememo » February 9th, 2015, 8:04 pm

Ok ok ok, so that's quite a vague title. I am infact talking about Bay Trail's successor - Cherry Trail. It should be coming out fairly soon, it's the same as Bay Trail generally, but the GPU (graphics) should be quite an improvement.

In all fairness, I'll likely pick something based on this up - but I've not decided on what in specific... :?:

I know some of us dropped on with the Staples deal (£49 for 8!) but if you buy from China they're not that much more expensive. I'm quite happy to take that risk for my next one, and there's one heck of a lot of choice (including 2GB ram, and super Hi-Res screens). But I'm still debating if I want a tablet, or to go with with Mini-PC form (a.la Chromecast). I think it's going to boil down to if tablets come with USB 3.0, or if you can only get that on the mini-pc format.

I'm just wondering what anyone else's thoughts are on it? Are you going to stick with Bay Trail? Are you going to replace with Cherry Trail or keep both? Is the tablet format right for you? A bigger one or smaller? And for us 7 and 8 owner, 2GB ram upgrade? :lol:
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: What comes next?

by westonpf » February 10th, 2015, 7:08 am

For me the Linx 10 actually does what I need of a small, take anywhere device. I also have a 1GB tablet and don't really see any noticeable difference in performance; applications that need 2GB probably won't perform too well even if 2GB is available due to other hardware limitations.

A better screen would be nice but isn't a deal breaker and I wouldn't want to see costs rise too much to give the better screen.Better battery performance would be an essential, 5-6 hours isn't bad but on a 12+ hour flight more battery is welcome.

Windows 10 seems to work well on these devices so should keep them going for at least 2-3 years at which point the non user serviceable battery will hold so little charge it will be time for an upgrade in any case so it could be the next generation of processor.

USB 3.0 is not really an issue for me when it comes to mobile devices other than a charger, Bluetooth keyboard and MiFi I don't want to be lugging around accessories, it simply makes them less portable.

I would like to see the firmware more open with drivers readily available, I like to tinker so being able to multi-boot Windows, Linux, Androids and MacOS would be good.

I'm not averse to importing a device from China but having bought stuff in Hong Kong you do need to be mindful that many devices will come set up in Chinese and I have found that a fresh install is the way to go. At least with MS providing Bing either free or at low cost the number of devices coming out of China with non-activated versions of Windows should reduce.

As always I take the view that people need to think carefully about how they will be using a device before buying, it is very easy to get caught in the trap of buying a £5k gaming machine with massive amounts of memory, top of the range graphics card, water-cooled multicore processors only to have it sit in the corner being used for email, Skype and ordering the shopping from the supermarket.
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

by K1lo » February 10th, 2015, 12:07 pm

I'm extremely impressed with Bay trail from a technology prospective. I really never thought an x86 processor could rival an ARM in low power tablet form.. the very fact that a power hungry full fat x86 chip with a relatively decent integrated GPU exists and can be bought for such a price is crazy in my books.

The main thing I'm looking forward to with Cherry Trail is pretty much more of the same. Maybe in a few months to a year we will have revision 2 Linx 7/8/10 models with more horsepower in the same form factor. It's an awesome time to be alive ! :D
K1lo

by Aergan » February 17th, 2015, 6:59 pm

I think it will be a while before we see OEM's producing Cherry Trail based devices in tablets of the Linx 10/8 calibre. It's taken a while (one might argue, getting towards twilight of the product) before we've had them at this price point. The performance success of Bay Trail is going to cause a lot of mainstream OEM's (and possibly Intel as well) to re-think their product lines I think when the next generation occurs.
Linx User
Linx User

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Amazon UK

by nememo » February 24th, 2015, 12:19 pm

So I decided to order a Vensmile W10 (link) on a whim. Virtually the same specs we're used to, but 2GB RAM and dual-band wifi. Hopefully it'll turn up at some point in the next few weeks!

As someone rightfully pointed out, Cherry Trail will take a while until it gets into final products, and there's no guarantee future models will come with WinBing so I figured I'd grab one whilst I can.

Also, I'm intending to use this as part of my car diagnostic package - this involves a hardware dongle that plugs into the OBD2 port of the car. I've just sold my laptop which ran Windows, and my only other portable is a Chromebook. This means I can power up the computer, plug in the dongle and remote desktop into it from my desktop!
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

by nememo » April 25th, 2015, 10:09 am

So I finally received the PC (Yup, really took that long!) but it is certainly mighty impressive!

Going through the usual trick of applying WUs, checking there's no naughty software installed, making sure the hardware is what it was advertised to be etc etc. But just from doing that I can tell how handy this thing is going to be. And there's certainly a difference from the 1GB RAM on my L8 to thd 2GB on this (shut up you L10 users! ;) )

The only issue I had was the audio was set to use the 3.5" jack as opposed to HDMI - that's literally how low I've had to stoop to say something bad about this! It even came with the micro-HDMI to HDMI cable!
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

by nememo » December 19th, 2015, 11:48 am

So, just as a follow on to this, Mrs Nememo may have got me a Cube i7 Stylus under the xmas tree. A Core M tablet (so a huge step up from the Atom), with 4GB RAM and 64GB SSD (not eMMC). Picked it up in the Aliexpress 11.11 sale with the keyboard dock for £205. And to top it off, the screen has a Wacom digitizer so you can use (old school) Tablet PC pens - think along the lines of the Samsung Galaxy S-Pen if you're not sure.

I had a quick play with it when it arrived (to make sure it's ok!) and it felt very solid, and much, MUCH quicker than the Bay Trail in the Linx - but the price does reflect this. The keyboard dock was very similar - felt much better built than the Linx 10 one and very premium. It was weighty and held onto the tablet with a lot of force - if you pick the tablet up there was no danger of the keyboard dropping off.

I'll get some pics when I'm allowed to play with it again!
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member