Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Win10 and keyloggers. : Off Topic

Win10 and keyloggers.

If its off topic, this is the place to go!

Win10 and keyloggers.

by F0LLETT » April 7th, 2016, 10:29 am

Been meaning to ask this question.
Anyone know how M$ get around Data Protection laws?

I use my Laptop for work. So it contains alot of customer data, motherboard prototype data, company accounts, etc etc.
Now if Windows 10 is logging all this and sending it back to its servers, it could be considered to be breaking laws and contracts.

I mean, we have data protection law. This means we have to everything possible to protect our customers data from being stolen.
Plus we have NDA's etc etc, for Motherboard prototypes and Hardware we are currently working. Now if any of this information gets out, we could be sued for breach of NDA, etc etc.

We use Skype alot, so Win10 would be logging every single (DPL / NDA) conversation we have.

Im just glad, I found out about it before installing Win10. DWSLITE, is a great tool for killing and removing the Win10 keyloggers.

Whats others thoughts on this?
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Win10 and keyloggers.

by Deleted User 12059 » April 7th, 2016, 10:37 pm

MS just seem to ignore anything that they want.. If you don't know what is being sent to them then you don't know what your liability is or could be.

Your employer has a legal responsibility for all of this.. If you are a self-employed then it's up to you.

There are no real precedents as some of these points have not yet received a UK/EU ruling (no test cases yet, AFAIK).

Legal opinion is just that.. opinion. Do you want to be the guy who gets hammered over this??

Why are you risking anything on legally dubious grounds?? IMHO, nobody should be using unencrypted comms/OS/apps for anything sensitive.

No excuses!!
Deleted User 12059

by F0LLETT » April 8th, 2016, 3:22 pm

frazzle102 wrote:MS just seem to ignore anything that they want.. If you don't know what is being sent to them then you don't know what your liability is or could be.

Your employer has a legal responsibility for all of this.. If you are a self-employed then it's up to you.

There are no real precedents as some of these points have not yet received a UK/EU ruling (no test cases yet, AFAIK).

Legal opinion is just that.. opinion. Do you want to be the guy who gets hammered over this??

Why are you risking anything on legally dubious grounds?? IMHO, nobody should be using unencrypted comms/OS/apps for anything sensitive.

No excuses!!

Not what I ment. Im very computer savy, all my stuff is secure (my work laptop is just that, no games, no stupid un wanted crap). However if you have Win10, it key logs everthing and sends it back to microsoft. They just word it so the average users thinks its a good thing. Thats the only reason I have not updated my Work laptop to Win10. I was just trying to find out, if others know how M$ can get away with taking all this data which could be used illegally.
It would be the same on a standard home computer. All your usernames and passwords are all being sent to microsoft as you type them.
Unfortuantely for me, I have to use Windows as other OS's do not support the stuff I use for diagnostic and developement. If I could use AmigaOS, then I would use it for everything in a heart beat.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos

by Deleted User 12059 » April 8th, 2016, 4:06 pm

Umm... Just a couple of points..

If you are running windows 7 or 8.x then are you really as "secure" as you think?? Don't forget that the telemetry stuff has been back ported..
As a great deal of this has been marked as "security updates" then you could be viewed as "not having a fully patched system" when it comes to compliance regulations if you've managed to avoid these.

Is your work laptop employer supplied or are you expected to use your own kit? Is everything "off site" fully encrypted when not in use?? Do you transfer customer data by encrypted means?... I could go on and on..

What I've seen "out there" frightens the heck out of me..

Ms just want to monetise everything. They will only have their "excesses" stopped by regulation, legal action or the financial hit caused by customers leaving them. Quite a few businesses are actively looking at alternatives to ms as a matter of urgency. Windows is starting to become a compliance nightmare.

The next few years should be interesting...
Deleted User 12059

by mole08 » April 8th, 2016, 10:34 pm

Couldn't you just turn key logger off in settings,or delete the updates from win7/8?
Linx User
Linx User

Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: Local store

by Deleted User 12059 » April 9th, 2016, 8:39 am

There are utilities out there that will do just that.. The problem is with the constant battle to try and keep ahead of all of this.

I've got better things to do with my time and I don't consider the ms attitude acceptable. Therefore no MS anything for me.
Deleted User 12059