Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Weird Tesco connect tablet : Off Topic

Weird Tesco connect tablet

If its off topic, this is the place to go!

Weird Tesco connect tablet

by misterb » April 2nd, 2016, 1:30 am

I bought a Tesco Connect 7 tablet on the basis that it is essentially a Linx 7. Every article/review of it seems to pitch the specs as identical.

However, when I looked into the Connect 7 I received, I noticed that, bizarrely, the total size of the storage was not 32GB as claimed by Tesco, but around 14GB. This isn't available space - this is the total reported by diskpart and Disk Management including all recovery/hidden partitions etc (10GB + 4GB recovery + 100MB).

As far as I can tell there was never a 16GB version of the Connect 7, so does anyone have any idea how or why that might be the case?
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: ebay
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Weird Tesco connect tablet

by F0LLETT » April 2nd, 2016, 8:40 am

misterb wrote:I bought a Tesco Connect 7 tablet on the basis that it is essentially a Linx 7. Every article/review of it seems to pitch the specs as identical.

However, when I looked into the Connect 7 I received, I noticed that, bizarrely, the total size of the storage was not 32GB as claimed by Tesco, but around 14GB. This isn't available space - this is the total reported by diskpart and Disk Management including all recovery/hidden partitions etc (10GB + 4GB recovery + 100MB).

As far as I can tell there was never a 16GB version of the Connect 7, so does anyone have any idea how or why that might be the case?

Strange, I have two vigalen Connect 7's. They are the same as Tesco Connect. Both are 32GB.
Another user had same issue and apparently it had wrong bios installed.

Whats the bios report the drive as. The two I have here are identical apart from having different make SSD's.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

by misterb » April 2nd, 2016, 1:23 pm

F0LLETT wrote:
misterb wrote:I bought a Tesco Connect 7 tablet on the basis that it is essentially a Linx 7. Every article/review of it seems to pitch the specs as identical.

Strange, I have two vigalen Connect 7's. They are the same as Tesco Connect. Both are 32GB.
Another user had same issue and apparently it had wrong bios installed.

Whats the bios report the drive as. The two I have here are identical apart from having different make SSD's.

Thanks for the reply! How do I check the BIOS? And any idea where the correct BIOS might be?

It's a weird situation too, as it looks like the previous owner has installed a Windows 8.1 image from a Toshiba device (possibly a laptop) onto the tablet.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by F0LLETT » April 2nd, 2016, 1:29 pm

don't know on bios.
I would return it and buy a new one. Not worth the hastle, unless you buy a large sd card.
Resolute and Industrious

by misterb » April 2nd, 2016, 1:55 pm

F0LLETT wrote:don't know on bios.
I would return it and buy a new one. Not worth the hastle, unless you buy a large sd card.

I do have a large (ish) SD card handy. And I know it's a lot of hassle, but I'm interested in the challenge of resurrecting the tablet, so any hints would be useful! There is a lot on the Web about the Linx, but very little about the Connect.

You mentioned another user who found he had the wrong BIOS... Any idea where that thread might be?

Sorry about all the questions!
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by F0LLETT » April 2nd, 2016, 2:42 pm

On his linx 1010. First I have heard of this issue on a linx7. Maybe previous user tried dual boot android bios.

Also check other thread. I posted reg file for orientation.
Resolute and Industrious

by misterb » April 2nd, 2016, 5:07 pm

F0LLETT wrote:On his linx 1010. First I have heard of this issue on a linx7. Maybe previous user tried dual boot android bios.

Also check other thread. I posted reg file for orientation.

Thanks. This issue is on a Connect though, rather than a Linx.

Interesting point about dual boot, which I presume is possible in the same way on the Connect as it is on the Linx? That would maybe explain why half the storage is missing? Windows can't 'see' the Android part? But I would have though Diskpart would still be able to see the full size even if a section is formatted in a way Windows doesn't recognise?
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by misterb » April 2nd, 2016, 11:03 pm

Looking into this a bit deeper, I used MSINFO and diskpart/listdisk, and both show that the size of the internal storage is 32gb (29gb etc). But both only show the same three partitions (10GB C drive, 4GB recovery, 100mb system drive). Neither Disk Management nor Minitool Partition Wizard show any available unallocated space on the disk, even while Minitool shows it as a 32gb disk.

I can't find anything online about this - it's the weirdest thing I've encountered in 25 years messing around with computers.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by F0LLETT » April 4th, 2016, 10:41 pm

misterb wrote:Looking into this a bit deeper, I used MSINFO and diskpart/listdisk, and both show that the size of the internal storage is 32gb (29gb etc). But both only show the same three partitions (10GB C drive, 4GB recovery, 100mb system drive). Neither Disk Management nor Minitool Partition Wizard show any available unallocated space on the disk, even while Minitool shows it as a 32gb disk.

I can't find anything online about this - it's the weirdest thing I've encountered in 25 years messing around with computers.

Be interesting to know what windows setup says, if you boot from usb stick (windows 10 installer).
You dont need to go all the way, just into the hdd setup part, it will list drive and space. Then cancel out of it, once you see what partitions you have.
Resolute and Industrious

by Deleted User 12059 » April 8th, 2016, 1:14 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Deleted User 12059 on June 17th, 2016, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 12059

Next