Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - 64bit Linux and general warnings... : General (Linx 10)

64bit Linux and general warnings...

General chit-chat on the Linx 10

64bit Linux and general warnings...

by Deleted User 1605 » March 15th, 2015, 8:38 pm

Hello all,

New member here & first post.

I've had my Linx 10 for a week now.. so pleased with it that I bought another for SWMBO.

Just some general info for all of the new tinkerers out there.

I personally don't like Windows 8.x and prefer Linux and FreeBSD.

64 bit Linux will install with a little tinkering.. Kernel support for most of the hardware is lacking at the moment (Screen, touch screen and usb definitely work OK on Linux Mint 64bit. I've yet to look at the other hardware. I've been playing with audio kernel patches.) AFAIK, the linux kernel developers are waiting for Intel to supply patches/info. before full hardware support can be provided.

Before you try any other operating system, I strongly recommend that you make a **FULL** system backup with 64bit Clonezilla. The live version installed to a usb stick will allow every partition on the tablet drive to be backed up. This is essential for when you bork your drive...

If anyone is thinking of trying out a linux distribution called Fedlet then may I give a warning:

I did manage to get this to install. It is "work in progress" and looks like it will eventually be very good. I found that the installer was very unstable on this tablet. One crash whilst partitioning the drive wiped out the EFI partition, leaving the machine with only the EFI shell to work with. (Yes, you can manually boot an EFI aware OS from here).

A second installer crash (today) has left the tablet firmware borked. I'm just waiting for a new SOIC programmer so that I can reflash the chip..
I personally would avoid this one until it is confirmed that a Linx 10 installation is problem free (I'll be watching this one!).

If anyone is interested or has any questions or wants some pointers then just ask here.

Bodge99
Deleted User 1605

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: 64bit Linux and general warnings...

by malachikhan » April 13th, 2015, 8:13 pm

I'm looking to install linux on my linx 10 think it could be great! How far have you got already?

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: 64bit Linux and general warnings...

by Tone4 » October 23rd, 2016, 6:37 pm

With everything that went wrong were you able to use Clonezilla and reinstall the partitions?
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: sainsbury's
Windows Version: Windows 8.1