Network

General chit-chat on the Linx 10

Network

by david_1152 » January 22nd, 2015, 3:44 pm

Hi,

Has anyone tried to get their Linx 10 onto a network at all?

Thanks.

Linx Tablet: Linx 10

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Network

by Madmax » January 22nd, 2015, 3:57 pm

wired:no
wireless:yes

but I suspect you mean "join a domain"....in which case its a no-go due to the OS type.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 7

by david_1152 » January 22nd, 2015, 4:14 pm

Thanks for that, does beg the question - has anyone tried to change their OS type to achieve this ? Sorry, bit of background - I work in a school and was thinking of issuing these out to our 6th form, one each. BUT, I'd need them to authenticate onto the school network, to gain access to network drives and the like. Sorry to be a pain..

by westonpf » January 22nd, 2015, 4:35 pm

You can upgrade to Win 8.1 pro which will give you the ability to join a domain. You would need a license for this version of Windows. It will also take up a fair bit of space on the drive. Someone has done this for the Linx 8.

Wired networking should be possible via a USB ethernet adapter.
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

by Madmax » January 22nd, 2015, 5:21 pm

you can do an inplace update without using up significant space at all just by going to control panel-->system and there is a link for "get more features with a new edition of windows"..this'll wander off online to MS servers, ask for a key......(if you dont have a key then ..take your money,) and upgrade your "home" to "pro".
if you are a school you possibly get educational licensing which may be a site license, so just get yourself some 8.1 pro keys and have at it.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by westonpf » January 22nd, 2015, 6:21 pm

Madmax wrote:you can do an inplace update without using up significant space at all just by going to control panel-->system and there is a link for "get more features with a new edition of windows"..this'll wander off online to MS servers, ask for a key......(if you dont have a key then ..take your money,) and upgrade your "home" to "pro".
if you are a school you possibly get educational licensing which may be a site license, so just get yourself some 8.1 pro keys and have at it.

Are you sure this approach works with the Bing! edition of Windows? I've seen complaints about this on another forum that there was no simple upgrade path.
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

by Madmax » January 22nd, 2015, 6:40 pm

westonpf wrote:
Madmax wrote:you can do an inplace update without using up significant space at all just by going to control panel-->system and there is a link for "get more features with a new edition of windows"..this'll wander off online to MS servers, ask for a key......(if you dont have a key then ..take your money,) and upgrade your "home" to "pro".

Are you sure this approach works with the Bing! edition of Windows? I've seen complaints about this on another forum that there was no simple upgrade path.

ah dammit...I've just done some reading and it seems to be yes, that is a restriction of our lovely bing edition...well spotted
my bad
...and odd that all the links are there to do the upgrade..but suppose it got overlooked
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by nememo » January 22nd, 2015, 6:43 pm

You should be able to whack your Pro key in and be on your way - it's been done on the Linx without an issue.
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

by Madmax » January 22nd, 2015, 6:48 pm

colour mne confused....i searched and came up with a definitive "no it cant be done"....but have since searched and found reports of people running hp stream 7 with bing doing an inplace upgrade to pro...so right now
yes you can, and no you cant, but yes you can

from experience (OEM in Vista days), its one wim file at all times, and the key decides what happens, so realistically speaking I cant see why it cant be done
and if it is restricted somehow, I cant see why it cant be worked around,.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by westonpf » January 22nd, 2015, 7:29 pm

Using the Dism /Online /Get-TargetEditions command throws up an error and won't display the available editions either. Seen reports of problems with both HP Stream and Asus Transformer. I don't have a spare key and don't fancy spending just to test it, particularly as I don't actually need it.
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Next