Remove Advertisement

Clock losing time

General chit-chat on the Linx 10

Re: Clock losing time

Postby zenki200 » February 24th, 2015, 2:02 pm

Have you tried emailing Linx? I found them to be very helpful albeit it took a while to get the initial response.
zenki200
Linx User
Linx User

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Amazon UK

Remove Ad

Postby edcoleridge » February 24th, 2015, 6:23 pm

mine seems to have sorted itself out for now....
@edcoleridge Using a Linx 10 Windows 8.1 Tablet
edcoleridge

Retailer: Sainsbury
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Postby 55brianb » March 29th, 2015, 2:33 am

zenki200 wrote:Have you tried emailing Linx? I found them to be very helpful albeit it took a while to get the initial response.

What did they suggest?

I've had my latest Linx 10 for 2 days now and it's losing 7 minutes every hour!

I've refreshed it and even set it to sync with an atomic clock every hour, but it's not made any difference.

Looks like it may be faulty Linx 10 no. 3....

Real shame as I do like this tablet.
55brianb
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: Amazon

Postby steve271 » March 29th, 2015, 1:38 pm

I had this as well and managed to fix it, unfortunately I can't remember what I did. It seems a common problem with Windows 8 - in my case (it was about 7 minutes an hour too) it was software. It may just have gone away after a Windows update.

You could try doing a Refresh to return the Linx to factory settings and see if it still does it?
steve271
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Retailer: amazon

Postby 55brianb » March 29th, 2015, 3:03 pm

steve271 wrote:I had this as well and managed to fix it, unfortunately I can't remember what I did. It seems a common problem with Windows 8 - in my case (it was about 7 minutes an hour too) it was software. It may just have gone away after a Windows update.

You could try doing a Refresh to return the Linx to factory settings and see if it still does it?

Well I have all the Windows updates that there are as the tablet's only 2 days old and all updates have been installed.

It does now seem to have sorted itself out after a refresh, but I'm worried that the only solution so far seems to be refreshing, which isn't at all practical as it means re-installing lots of programs :-(

I've emailed Linx and will report back here what they say, if anything.
55brianb
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby steve271 » March 29th, 2015, 8:05 pm

Well that does show it is software and not a hardware issue. In my case it never came back after it went away, and I just put all the Windows Updates on too.

I've not had to refresh again (and would now be very reluctant too).

Hopefully it is a problem in Windows 8 with some chipsets that MS have now fixed :)
steve271
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Retailer: amazon

Postby zenki200 » March 30th, 2015, 9:38 am

If you are still having problems you could try this. It's a free software download which is only available for 24hrs. I've used them before and it's a genuine site.
You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
zenki200
Linx User
Linx User

Retailer: Amazon UK

Postby 55brianb » March 30th, 2015, 11:05 am

zenki200 wrote:If you are still having problems you could try this. It's a free software download which is only available for 24hrs. I've used them before and it's a genuine site.

You don't need it, free or not - all you have to do is set an atomic (or other) server in the Internet Time settings under Date and Time. I use ntp2.npl.co.uk which is the atomic clock of the UK National Physical Laboratory on all my computers.

The feature is already built into Windows, so no extra risk/bloat/resource-hogging software is required.
55brianb
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby 55brianb » March 30th, 2015, 3:37 pm

Well I've had a reply from Exertis UK, who I'm assuming are the distributors for the Linx tablets in the UK. "Lee" said:

"Good Afternoon.

I have been advised to ask you to change the time server that windows 8.1 is synchronised with as the problem is apparently with Microsoft/Windows 8.1 rather than a hardware issue.

Please try the following:
1. Go to the Start Screen, Right-click to get the "All Apps" icon in the lower right of the screen, and click it.
2. Select "Control Panel"
3. From Control Panel, navigate to "System and Security" >> "Clock, Language, and Region" >> "Date and Time"
4. Click the "Internet Time" tab, and change the server to "time.nist.gov", then click update.
5. Check if the correct time is displayed with the "auto DST option"
I did this myself approximately 10 days ago and subsequently the clock on my linx 10 is still accurate."

I have no idea who "advised" him to tell me that...

I'm not convinced by this as one of the first things I do on a new pc is change the internet time server to ntp2.npl.co.uk, and I had already done this two days prior to the time problem occurring, so I think they're off the mark on this. I've also never noticed this problem on any of the other Windows 8 devices I'm using or have used.

I do agree that it's most likely a software issue, but what the actual cause is, is as far as I'm concerned, unknown. Everything I had installed prior to the problem with the clock has been re-installed and the clock's running fine - so far, however if it happens again, which (touch wood!) it hopefully won't, it'll be going back.

It's a nice tablet and beats hands-down in several departments the Lenovo Miix3 10 which I recently tried.
55brianb
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby IgnatiusA » April 7th, 2015, 11:28 pm

I've just been researching this and found the following:

check and see if the solution here helps

for the hard of reading try the following from an admin cmd prompt: