Remove Advertisement

Clock losing time

General chit-chat on the Linx 10

Clock losing time

Postby Jared » January 9th, 2015, 7:27 am

Hi. Has anyone else noticed their linx 10 losing time. Mine is quite often between 7 and 15 minutes behind the rest of the world. Not the biggest issue, just annoying.

Any help appreciated. Thnks,
J
Jared

Linx Tablet: Linx 10

Remove Ad

Re: Clock losing time

Postby Dann » January 9th, 2015, 7:27 pm

Have you tried changing the clock being synced with the default server to a different one?
Dann
Admin
Dann
Founder/Admin
Founder/Admin

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Staples UK
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

Postby fingermouse » January 10th, 2015, 6:31 am

My Linx 7 was doing that too, my 10 has been fine, but it seems to have settled down. The only thing I did was change it from automatically picking up the date and time to manual. It still lost time after that, so changed it back. It then seemed to settle down.
I doubt those actions made any difference, but certainly wouldn't hurt. Does anyone know about the battery that powers the bios? Is it a separate rechargeable battery? Perhaps just keeping your device on charge for a decent length of time helps.
fingermouse

Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Postby jones.ci » February 2nd, 2015, 9:41 am

My wife and I each have a Linx 10 and both have this problems, even sometimes giving the wrong date.
jones.ci

Retailer: Argos

Postby K1lo » February 2nd, 2015, 12:56 pm

Computers are actually spectacularly bad at keeping time. Simple motherboards even more so as they tend not to have proper RTC chips and try to guesstimate the passage of time based on processor cycles. Others, like the Raspberry Pi for example, don't even have this mechanism so when you boot up after shutdown the time and date the machine recorded on shutdown is shown!

The way almost every machine on the planet gets around this (even phones and embedded devices) is getting this data from an external source, be it a GPS satellite, FM broadcast or (most commonly) via NTP lookups against internet time servers.
K1lo

Postby Aergan » February 2nd, 2015, 7:25 pm

No issues here but I run my own NTP & DHCP server, so I tend not to have time issues (everything has the correct time that supports NTP on my network).

By default Windows will get it's time from time.nist.gov.
Aergan
Linx User
Linx User

Retailer: Amazon UK

Postby dixong » February 4th, 2015, 8:59 pm

Mine's losing around 15 seconds a minute. This doesn't look good, is there anything that can be done or should I send it back.

I've tried with/without automatic time settings and also with/without charging.

Thanks
dixong

Retailer: Amazon

Postby edcoleridge » February 7th, 2015, 3:42 pm

I'm having the same problem. I've changed the schedule so that the time updates each hour. I've tried different servers and I've made sure my routers time is correct.

It's so annoying!
@edcoleridge Using a Linx 10 Windows 8.1 Tablet
edcoleridge

Retailer: Sainsbury

Postby dixong » February 15th, 2015, 10:14 pm

I was just abut to fill in the amazon returns form, which doesn't seem overly helpful once you've started to use the tablet, when I thought I'd try a recovery option. I went for the 'refresh your pc without affecting your files' and it hasn't lost any time during the last week.

I'm still very nervous about it happening again but pleased that it hasn't so far.

Garry
dixong

Retailer: Amazon

Postby mk330d » February 24th, 2015, 12:03 pm

I have this problem too. My clock loses approx 1 min every 15 mins! Its very annoying and now frustrating as I've spent hours searching for answers but found nothing definitive. It seems a common problem on the Bay-Trail Atom platform.

I've tried a reset and that seemed to work until I finished reinstalling a the win 8.1 updates!

I get the feeling this a well know problem that Linx are keeping very quite about.

Anyone else suffering from this as there seems to be very few posts about this here?
mk330d

Retailer: dabs
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

Next

Return to General (Linx 10)