Remove Advertisement

Power issues

General chit-chat on the Linx 10

Re: Power issues

Postby kmanktelow » September 19th, 2016, 6:52 pm

Hi, All, I've had my Linx 10 and Origami Keyboard for over a year and half now, upgraded to Windows 10 without issues etc. However, now I have an issue that it seems to be using power faster than it's charging...!
Literally, turn it on whilst charging and it's on 5% battery and look a few seconds later and it's dropped to 4% and then suddenly shuts itself down.
I've tried the Wifi Driver links - which give a 404 error and even tried the official drivers from elsewhere on this site - only to be told I have "incompatible hardware". But, it's listed under device manager as the Realtek SIDO card. So, I'm not 100% sure what drivers I should actually be using....
I'm charging it currently whilst it's supposedly off, and will try changing the Wifi setting as suggested by Alyn in a couple of hours....
kmanktelow

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Amazon.co.uk

Remove Ad

Postby kmanktelow » September 19th, 2016, 8:17 pm

OK, now I'm confused - it doesn't have the options Alyn suggested under the advanced tab of the Device Manager Properties.....
I'm only seeing:
Antenna Diversity
Bandwidth
Multichannel concurrent
Wake on magic pattern
Wake of Pattern match
Wireless Mode.

So, I can't install the suggested drivers, nor turn off the Performance mode.... :-(
kmanktelow

Postby kmanktelow » September 19th, 2016, 8:32 pm

Interesting managed to download the drivers from the Realtek website and they installed - and I've still got the options above. But, I've just gone to the Windows 10 Power and Sleep options (Anniversay update) and there's an option to keep connected to the network when asleep while on Battery Power. So, was it Microsoft causing my woes - rather than the Wifi drivers?
kmanktelow

Postby kmanktelow » September 20th, 2016, 8:56 am

Checked before bed last night - power at 82% got up eight hours later and checked down to 46%. Still seems to be losing power somewhere....
kmanktelow

Postby F0LLETT » September 20th, 2016, 10:55 am

kmanktelow wrote:Checked before bed last night - power at 82% got up eight hours later and checked down to 46%. Still seems to be losing power somewhere....

Take it, your not turning it off fully, just using standby?
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Postby kmanktelow » September 20th, 2016, 3:37 pm

Well, as far as I am aware, it's being shutdown - I generally use the Start10 Start menu replacement and use the Shutdown button there - I rarely use the sleep options.
However, I have noticed that over the last couple of weeks the tablet seems to take a couple of attempts to boot-up - which now seems to be power related.
Shutting the Linx down using any method the screen goes black and then the red light beside the camera comes on briefly. So is it going into sleep mode - despite all my settings telling it not to.
kmanktelow

Postby garynortheast » September 20th, 2016, 8:22 pm

I'm having exactly the same problems with my Linx 10 too. It doesn't even seem like it's actually charging when the device is running, and it seems to take an age to charge when the tablet is shut down. :(
garynortheast

Retailer: Ebuyer

Postby F0LLETT » September 21st, 2016, 11:35 am

Shutting down while Fast boot is enabled, will cause the issues your getting if the Hibernation file gets corrupt.
Also, I doubt its actually shutting down fully, more like going into a very low power state.
To solve standby problems, you have have to disable it completely and make it run like a PC. i.e. all power modes available etc etc.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos

Postby kmanktelow » September 22nd, 2016, 7:27 am

Hi, All,

Well, I went through the various parts of the system and found the network options and turned them off, charged to 100% and whilst being used with the power plugged in I seemed to be breaking even.

Actually used the power button and slid down the screen to shutdown last night, with the power on 68%.

Checked this morning and it's down to 20%.... :cry:

I've run the Windows 10 Troubleshooter for power options and all that's done is turned on the Sleep options...... :shock:
And that's supposed to save power?

As for Follett's suggestion about Fast boot - where's that in Windows 10? I can't find it on the Tablet or my Desktop? I thought it was removed in Windows 10?

But, yes, my thinking is that the tablet isn't shutting down properly and is going into sleep/hibernate mode (can't find a hibernate file, however). Actually, starting to think that it's something Windows related - as occasionally, my Desktop when shutdown will restart itself. And, then I've got to shutdown again.
kmanktelow

Postby mole08 » September 22nd, 2016, 12:17 pm

kmanktelow wrote:Hi, All,

Well, I went through the various parts of the system and found the network options and turned them off, charged to 100% and whilst being used with the power plugged in I seemed to be breaking even.

Actually used the power button and slid down the screen to shutdown last night, with the power on 68%.

Checked this morning and it's down to 20%.... :cry:

I've run the Windows 10 Troubleshooter for power options and all that's done is turned on the Sleep options...... :shock:
And that's supposed to save power?

As for Follett's suggestion about Fast boot - where's that in Windows 10? I can't find it on the Tablet or my Desktop? I thought it was removed in Windows 10?

But, yes, my thinking is that the tablet isn't shutting down properly and is going into sleep/hibernate mode (can't find a hibernate file, however). Actually, starting to think that it's something Windows related - as occasionally, my Desktop when shutdown will restart itself. And, then I've got to shutdown again.

You need to drill down for Fast Boot. " Settings-System-Power & sleep-Additional power settings-choose what the power buttons do". its the first option, often set to on by default..
mole08
Linx User
Linx User

Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: Local store

PreviousNext

Return to General (Linx 10)