Remove Advertisement


Latest windows annaversary update causing problems.

Give your Linx 8 some new accessories!

Re: Latest windows update bricking Linx Tablets.

Postby TrickyDee » November 10th, 2016, 3:55 pm

Running a Linx8 here, have run every update when they have come in, up to and including last nights, no problems to report.

Release versions.
TrickyDee
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
 
Posts: 35
Joined: June 4th, 2015, 2:38 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Remove Ad



Re: Latest windows update bricking Linx Tablets.

Postby kvothethedragon » November 10th, 2016, 6:59 pm

disenchanted1 wrote:
kvothethedragon wrote:
disenchanted1 wrote:Outcome of call: Take to local store to be repaired (bios reflash) on Microsoft's dollar. Definitely pays to complain (politely) and sticking to your guns.


That's great news, well done. My tablet (linx 10) has exactly the same issue.
Could you do us/me a huge favour and post who you were emailing and potentially a reference number. That way we won't necessarily have to go through the pain you have.

Thanking you in advance :-)


Sorry no - I still don't have a contact email for MS - everything was arranged through the ODR (online dispute resolution) system (an arbitration service often used as a precursor to court action). Everything was subsequently hashed out over the telephone (they called me) with confirmation from a typical 'donot-reply' email address.

You can find the ODR here: You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register

It takes maybe 10 mins to setup, I gave them Microsoft's UK PR department email as a point of contact (as it's the only one I could find), got a phone call about a week later (no doubt after it had been bounced around internally for a while).: ukprteam@microsoft.com

And here's the gist of the complaint I filed (so you can copy/paste/amend as necessary):

NB I gave the only UK email address I could find - you'll have to ask them who you should speak to as they won't tell me.

On or about 15th October 2016 Microsoft forced my tablet pc to download and install the 'Windows 10 Anniversary edition' update without my knowledge or consent.

Subsequently my tablet became completely inoperative.

As can be seen from the number of cases raised with the tablet manufacturer (Linx) this is not an isolated incident (e.g. http://linxtablet.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2253&p=13092)

Nor would it seem this issue is limited to devices made by my manufacturer (e.g. You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register )

Having contacted both the manufacturer and Microsoft, the manufacturer of my device states that:

"I do understand where you are coming from in your emails. Though this is not a fault caused by Linx or a defect with the device itself. This update came from Microsoft (Windows Software)"

Microsoft's technical support has been less than adequate eventually advising that I take the affected device in to a Microsoft Store for repair (a relatively simple procedure I'm told) - unfortunately there are no such stores in the UK whatsoever.


Requesting that:

Microsoft to undertake discussions with Linx to try and find a way of preventing this from happening again.

Either;

a) A written agreement to pay for any and all repair costs arising for the affected device plus other related costs incurred to date, plus 'damages' for my time taken in dealing with this matter or,

b) A lump sum payment in the sum of 150GBP to allow for replacement costs, inclusive of 'damages' for my time taken in dealing with this matter, etc.


Thank you for the advice, I decided in the end to try the unplug the battery to discharge and then plug in to charge again trick. Actually fixed it for me... Bizarre, especially considering I had the tablet plugged into power when it stopped working.

Either way, it's back up and running now, but I am glad to have found out the options you have taken as they may help in the future.
kvothethedragon
Member
Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: November 2nd, 2016, 7:53 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: Latest windows update bricking Linx Tablets.

Postby F0LLETT » November 23rd, 2016, 10:57 pm

Just to update. I just realised my linx was not running 1607 update. Despite it saying it was fully up to date.
Now tried letting it install and it doesnt try to flash firmware. So I would say Vision is safe.
Only trouble I have now is installing it completely. Stupid thing keeps failing. Tried Windows update, Windows Update Offline installer. Currently trying ISO. Fingers crossed.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 909
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Location: Wales, UK
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: Latest windows update bricking Linx Tablets.

Postby FlippyFF » November 29th, 2016, 8:12 am

Morning all,

I finally managed to reflash the BIOS on my Linx10 last night following the dodgy Windows update saga but hit a snag or two......

1) On the first power up after the reflashing, there was a POST message along the lines of 'BOM switch changed, blah blah blah...........' I didn't get to read it all before the machine rebooted. Have others who have reflashed encountered this?

2) When Windows10 tries to boot, it reports that the BCD is invalid and to run the repair tools. At the moment, the only recovery image I have to hand is Win8 which couldn't fix anything, although I did use it's Command Prompt to rename the C:\Windows\Firmware\ folder while I had the opportunity. I'll download the latest Win10 ISOs while I'm at work today and give those a try this evening.

Note, the BIOS image I flashed was the one from this forum that I believe doesn't have a Windows key in it, would this be the cause of either of the problems above?

I have a note of my license key from the original Windows 8 installation (somewhere) from this tablet, will this be the same key as used by Windows 10 or can 10 change it in the BIOS somehow?


Thanks to all in advance,

Simon
FlippyFF
Member
Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: May 10th, 2015, 6:26 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: sainsburys
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

Re: Latest windows update bricking Linx Tablets.

Postby F0LLETT » November 29th, 2016, 11:20 am

FlippyFF wrote:Morning all,

I finally managed to reflash the BIOS on my Linx10 last night following the dodgy Windows update saga but hit a snag or two......

1) On the first power up after the reflashing, there was a POST message along the lines of 'BOM switch changed, blah blah blah...........' I didn't get to read it all before the machine rebooted. Have others who have reflashed encountered this?

2) When Windows10 tries to boot, it reports that the BCD is invalid and to run the repair tools. At the moment, the only recovery image I have to hand is Win8 which couldn't fix anything, although I did use it's Command Prompt to rename the C:\Windows\Firmware\ folder while I had the opportunity. I'll download the latest Win10 ISOs while I'm at work today and give those a try this evening.

Note, the BIOS image I flashed was the one from this forum that I believe doesn't have a Windows key in it, would this be the cause of either of the problems above?

I have a note of my license key from the original Windows 8 installation (somewhere) from this tablet, will this be the same key as used by Windows 10 or can 10 change it in the BIOS somehow?


Thanks to all in advance,

Simon



You don't need the Windows 10 key. It knows its you when you login to M$ account. It will then auto activate.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 909
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Location: Wales, UK
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: Latest windows update bricking Linx Tablets.

Postby FlippyFF » November 29th, 2016, 12:17 pm

F0LLETT wrote:
FlippyFF wrote:Morning all,

I finally managed to reflash the BIOS on my Linx10 last night following the dodgy Windows update saga but hit a snag or two......

1) On the first power up after the reflashing, there was a POST message along the lines of 'BOM switch changed, blah blah blah...........' I didn't get to read it all before the machine rebooted. Have others who have reflashed encountered this?

2) When Windows10 tries to boot, it reports that the BCD is invalid and to run the repair tools. At the moment, the only recovery image I have to hand is Win8 which couldn't fix anything, although I did use it's Command Prompt to rename the C:\Windows\Firmware\ folder while I had the opportunity. I'll download the latest Win10 ISOs while I'm at work today and give those a try this evening.

Note, the BIOS image I flashed was the one from this forum that I believe doesn't have a Windows key in it, would this be the cause of either of the problems above?

I have a note of my license key from the original Windows 8 installation (somewhere) from this tablet, will this be the same key as used by Windows 10 or can 10 change it in the BIOS somehow?

/Edit / Update @ 12:40:
The BCD error was 0xc0000098 - Error: /BCD

I've just found an article about this error relating to Windows 8 and it said to use the repair options to open a command prompt, then run the follow commands:

BOOTREC /SCANOS
BOOTREC /FIXMBR
BOOTREC /FIXBOOT
BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

I've done this and it found two Windows installations, I added both to the boot menu. When the machine rebooted, no more BCD error! It presented me with the expected two boot options, unhelpfully both called 'Windows insider preview', I selected the first and it now appears that the machine is trying to continue the upgrade. Fingers crossed! :-)

/edit

Thanks to all in advance,

Simon



You don't need the Windows 10 key. It knows its you when you login to M$ account. It will then auto activate.



I've downloaded the latest Insider .ISO (It was an Insider build on the machine) but it isn't able to repair the O/S and the 'Go back to the previous build' option says it ran into a problem and can't take me back. From what I recall, I was trying to upgrade the machine to the latest Insider build at the time it died. From a command prompt, the existing C: drive is accessible.
I've no objection to rebuilding the machine from scratch, just concerned that without the license key in the BIOS it won't have anything to tie the physical machine to the machine/activation listed in my MS account.

Simon
FlippyFF
Member
Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: May 10th, 2015, 6:26 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: sainsburys
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

Re: Latest windows update bricking Linx Tablets.

Postby F0LLETT » November 29th, 2016, 1:17 pm

Trust me it works. I have 4 machines with without uefi bios and no key. They all auto activate fine.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 909
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Location: Wales, UK
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: Latest windows update bricking Linx Tablets.

Postby FlippyFF » November 30th, 2016, 11:07 pm

F0LLETT wrote:Trust me it works. I have 4 machines with without uefi bios and no key. They all auto activate fine.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk


You were right - I found the original product key and entered that when I re-installed Win10 and once complete it even added back my Pro upgrade.

I have three problems after the rebuild though:

1) No audio from either the internal speaker or the headphone socket
2) Neither camera works (but not too fussed about that)
3) It keeps locking up and a power cycle is needed to bring it back to life.

There are no unidentified devices in Device Manager, for 1 & 2 above we have:
Audio I/O shows 'Intel SST Audio Device (WDM)' for Microphone & Speakers. Sound, Video and game controllers lists 'Inter SST Audio Device (WDM) and 'Realtek I2S Audio Codec'
Imaging Devices shows a 'Inter(R) Imaging Signal Processor 2400'

Any thoughts?

Simon
FlippyFF
Member
Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: May 10th, 2015, 6:26 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: sainsburys
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

Re: Latest windows update bricking Linx Tablets.

Postby F0LLETT » November 30th, 2016, 11:39 pm

Driver issue? Try force installing linx 10 base drivers.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 909
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Location: Wales, UK
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: Latest windows update bricking Linx Tablets.

Postby smiffyuk » December 3rd, 2016, 12:53 pm

Hi this is the reason I have visited the site today the last update from m.s has completely messed my tablet up and I thought that the battery had failed
I was trying to work wether its cheaper buy a new battery or a new tablet although I can run the tabet and use it if I turn it off and try to use it the next day I have to plug the charging cord in to get it to boot
Any Suggestions would be welcome

Thanks in advance
Frank aka smiffyuk :ugeek: :geek:
smiffyuk
Member
Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: December 3rd, 2016, 12:37 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories (Linx 8)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest