Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Unable to see bootable USB Recovery drive : Help (Linx 8) - 5

Unable to see bootable USB Recovery drive

If its broke and it doesn't turn on you probably wanna post in here.

Re: Unable to see bootable USB Recovery drive

by dpweeks » September 28th, 2015, 12:00 pm

Hi danskeman,

In case it is helpful to others, here is a blow by blow description of how I performed Linx 8 upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10:
1. Connected Linx 8 up to EasyAcc USB 3 Hub with the Hub in "Self-powered mode" i.e. (You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register):
a. EasyAcc Hub's supplied power cable plugged into the power IN socket, and the USB Standard A connector on the other end plugged into the 2 amp Wall plug charger that came with the Linx 8.
b. Linx 8 connected to the EasyAcc USB IN socket, switching as needed between one of the following two cabling options:
i. For operations at the Windows 8.1 level, with Linx 8 able to charge: used the Micro USB B to Standard USB A cable that comes with the Linx 8. This option works at the Win 8.1 level (all USB devices are visible) and allows Linx 8 to charge but it does NOT work at UEFI level (no USB devices are visible).
ii. For operations at UEFI level, with Linx 8 unable to charge: used both the Linx 8 OTG Cable (i.e. cable with Micro USB connector on one end and female Standard USB connector on the other) and the Standard USB A to Standard USB B that came with the EasyAcc Hub! This option works at both the Win 8.1 level and at UEFI level (i.e. all USB devices including bootable USB devices are visible), but Linx 8 does not charge (presumably because Sense/ID pin 4 on the Micro USB B plug of the OTG Cable is in fact grounded making it Type A!) .
c. USB flash drive connected to EasyAcc USB OUT port 1.
d. USB Keyboard connected to EasyAcc USB OUT port 2.
e. USB Mouse connected to EasyAcc USB OUT Port 3.
f. External self-powered 2Tb Seagate USB hard drive connected to EasyAcc USB OUT Port 4.
g. Verified that all the above USB devices were visible at the Windows 8.1 level.
2. Performed Windows Update from the Control Panel, to ensure that Linx 8 Windows 8.1 system has all the very latest Windows and other Microsoft updates, EXCEPT for the following optional update:
a. Update for Windows 8.1 (KB3013816) December 2014 MDM client update in Windows, since from it’s description it seems to enforce the use of BitLocker drive encryption which might stop me from using image backup tools such as Macrium Reflect Free.
3. Performed a Windows Defender definitions update and then Windows Defender full system scan, to try to ensure that Linx 8 Windows 8.1 system is as free as possible of viruses and malware.
4. Downloaded and installed Macrium Reflect Free onto Linx 8.
5. Used Macrium Reflect Free on the Linx 8 at Win 8.1 level to create a bootable MRF Rescue USB flash drive.
6. Used Macrium Reflect Free on the Linx 8 at Win 8.1 level to create a full image backup on the external Seagate USB Hard drive, of all partitions on the Linx 8 internal drive i.e. everything needed to fully restore in offline mode the Linx 8 back to Windows 8.1 using the bootable MRF Rescue USB flash drive, should upgrade to Windows 10 fail.
7. Shut the Linx 8 down and used Power + Vol up buttons to reboot the Linx 8 into UEFI mode. Verified that I was able to:
a. See the bootable MRF Rescue USB flash drive.
b. Boot up off the MRF Rescue USB flash drive into the offline Macrium Reflect Free utility.
c. From within the offline Macrium Reflect Free utility, see the full image backup of the Linx 8 just created on the external Seagate USB hard drive.
8. Exited UEFI level by rebooting back into Win 8.1.
9. Used Powershell in administrator mode to export all 3rd party Win 8.1 drivers to Linx 8 SD card, using the instructions at You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register ... ws-8-1-u1/. i.e. this was a precaution in case any of these drivers should be needed on Windows 10.
10. Downloaded the following Windows 10 drivers to Linx 8 SD card from the Windows 10 Command Centre on the linxtablet.co.uk site (also as a precaution should any of them be needed on Windows 10) (http://www.linxtablet.co.uk/page.php?p= ... 018a56e3af):
a. Driver package for Linx 8.
b. New WiFi/Bluetooth Drivers (3rd August update).
c. New chipset drivers (3rd August update).
d. Camera Driver (3rd August update).
11. Downloaded, installed and ran Belarc Advisor to generate a report onto the SD card of all software versions installed and relevant licence keys for the Win 8.1 system, for future reference.
12. Clicked on the Windows icon for “Get Windows 10” in the task bar, and selected “Reserve your free upgrade”, and then “OK, let’s continue”:
a. Windows update was launched automatically.
b. “Downloading Windows 10” was displayed (started downloading 2194.3 MB and took about an hour).
13. Clicked on “Accept” to accept the Microsoft licencing terms
a. “Preparing for the upgrade” was displayed.
b. “Your upgrade is ready to install” was displayed.
14. Clicked on “Schedule it for later” (since even though Linx 8 was charging from EasyAcc Hub, remaining power had dropped to 62%).
a. Window closed, to redisplay the Windows Update which said “Your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready. You need to restart your PC to begin the installation. This might take a while, but we’ll let you know when it’s done”, and prompted to “Restart Now”.
15. Didn’t select “Restart Now”, and instead put the Linx 8 to sleep using the power button, to let it recharge for 2 hours.
16. 2 hours later: Woke the Linx 8 up using the power button:
a. Linx 8 automatically restarted, and commenced “Configuring update for Windows 10, x% complete. Do not turn off your computer”.
b. Linx 8 displayed “Restarting” (Linx 8 rebooted).
c. Linx 8 displayed “Upgrading Windows. Your PC will restart several times. Sit back and relax”.
d. Linx 8 rebooted at 30% after “Copying files”, then continued “Upgrading Windows”, “Installing features and drivers”.
e. Screen went blank at 75%, and stayed that way for more than 15 mins :-(.
17. Held the power button down for 10 secs to reboot it (and held thumbs!).
a. Linx 8 continued “Upgrading Windows” “Configuring settings” (whew!).
b. At 100%, Linx 8 displayed “Hello there, welcome back!” “<my user name>”
18. Clicked on “Next”
a. Linx 8 displayed “Get going fast”, and prompted to “Use Express settings”
19. I decided to instead select “Customise settings”
a. Linx 8 displayed “Customise settings”. I made my selections
b. Linx 8 displayed “New apps for the new Windows” I chose my default apps.
c. Linx 8 displayed “Finalising your settings”, then displayed the login screen
20. Logged in with my Microsoft Account
a. Linx 8 displayed “This won’t take long” “Setting up your apps” “Taking care of a few things” “Don’t turn off your PC”
b. Linx 8 displayed “Let’s Start”, then displayed Windows 10 desktop and Start Menu
c. My Windows 8 App grouping has been lost. I now see 3 groups: “Life at a glance”, “Play and explore”, and an untitled group with all my other Apps
21. All previously installed Apps were still installed under Windows 10, plus a few more from Microsoft, so nothing to do there.
22. Since I have got used to full screen Start Menu under Windows 8.1, under “Personalisation”, “Start”, set “Use Start full screen” to “On”. Then created my own App groups and re-arranged all Apps to my liking in the Start menu.
23. To reduce the amount of space taken up by Cortana Search box in the task bar, right-buttoned on the task bar and used “Cortana” “Show Cortana Icon”, to display just an icon
24. On boot/restart of Linx 8, Windows 10 seems to always default back into Tablet Mode even when I have been using Desktop mode, so used “System Settings”, “Tablet Mode” to change the default to “Off” and changed “When I sign in” to be “Remember what I used last”.
25. Discovered to my great disappointment that Microsoft seems to have completely and totally messed up OneDrive in Windows 10, by removing the Windows 8/8.1 support for “placeholders”, meaning that it’s no longer possible to see all files on OneDrive unless all OneDrive folders are synced to the Linx 8, which is impractical. In my book this is almost reason enough on it’s own to revert Windows 10 back to Windows 8.1! Anyhow, after doing a bit of Googling on the matter, used the workaround approach demonstrated at You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register to set up a mapped drive Z: to give access to all Onedrive folders on You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register<my OneDrive identifier>/. Because I use two-phase authentication on my Microsoft Account, I had to generate an App Password at You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register in order to get the mapping authentication to complete successfully (not described in the Youtube clip). Renaming the resultant rather messily named mapped drive to “Onedrive” as suggested in the Youtube clip succeeded, but did not persist across restart, however at least I can now see all files on Onedrive from the Linx 8, without being forced to have local copies of them all.
26. 1 year free Office 365 Subscription previously activated on Windows 8.1 on the Linx 8 still seems to be activated under Windows 10, so nothing to do there.
27. Wifi access continued working after upgrade to Windows 10 and all saved Wifi configurations are still present, so nothing to do there.
28. All USB peripherals on my EasyAcc hub are still visible at Windows 10 level, so nothing to do there.
29. Screen rotation works fine, so nothing to do there.
30. Front and rear cameras initially did not work, but after Windows 10 automatically installed a few Windows updates, which necessitated a restart, the cameras started working on their own, no nothing to do there. They worked fine with Skype.
31. Bluetooth devices previously paired under Windows 8.1 seem to still be paired under Windows 10, and I was able to successfully “Receive a file” shared via Bluetooth from my Windows 8.1 Phone, so nothing to do there.
32. The previously installed Macrium Reflect Free still seems to be installed and working. When I look at GPT Disk 1 (i.e. before any cleanup of old Windows 8.1 system files) I see that the 23.39 Gb "Windows C" partition is almost full (20.59 Gb used), and the 5.07 Gb "Images" partition is still there (presumably still holding Win 8.1 files".
33. Used Macrium Reflect Free at Windows 10 level to create a full image backup of the Linx 8 GPT Disk 1 on the external Seagate USB Hard drive, of all partitions on the Linx 8 internal drive i.e. everything needed to fully restore in offline mode the Linx 8 back to this post upgrade, _pre-cleanup_ Windows 10 system using the bootable MRF Rescue USB flash drive, should this ever be necessary.
34. Used the instructions at http://www.linxtablet.co.uk/page.php?p= ... n-up-guide to clean up “Previous Windows installation(s)” (i.e. Win 8.1) and “Temporary Windows installation files” (for Win 10) on the C: system drive, thus recovering some 7 Gb of space on the Windows C partition and removal of the 5 Gb “Images” partition altogether (seems to have been automatically merged with the Windows C partition which now has 14.65 Gb free).
35. Used Macrium Reflect Free at Windows 10 level to create a full image backup of the Linx 8 GPT Disk 1 on the external Seagate USB Hard drive, of all partitions on the Linx 8 internal drive i.e. everything needed to fully restore in offline mode the Linx 8 back to this post upgrade, _post-cleanup_ Windows 10 system using the bootable MRF Rescue USB flash drive, should this ever be necessary.
36. Used Belarc Advisor (still installed) to generate an updated report onto the SD card of all software versions installed and relevant licence keys for the Win 10 system, for future reference.
37. In Summary: Windows 10 upgrade in fact went very smoothly. Did not need to use any of the previously exported 3rd party Win 8.1 drivers, or any of the previously downloaded Windows 10 drivers I’d saved onto on my SD card.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Wiziwoo
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

by danskeman » September 28th, 2015, 7:39 pm

A good description, and you obviously left little to chance. The only significance difference I did was to use the media creation tool rather than the auto upgrade mechanism. It is good from step 20 onwards you talk about all the things worth doing after installation. I have done most of these but not in such a structured tutorial-like way.

One thing worth mentioning is as the main drive is only 32 GB, full system image backups (and restores) only take about 10-15 minutes to do.
I have written a detailed MRF guide in the guides section for benefit of other users.

With a bit of simplification, I think this could be turned into a good guide (focussing on essential steps).
Premium Member
Premium Member

Retailer: Amazon

by dpweeks » November 17th, 2015, 7:40 pm

Hi danskeman
Since upgrading to Windows 10 I have encountered two problems with my Linx 8:
1. Restart no longer works. When I initiate Restart from the Start menu, the tablet shuts down but never reboots. I have to power it up manually by holding down the power button.
2. Powering up has become more difficult. Holding the power button down for more than 8 secs does not always result in the Linx 8 booting. Sometimes I have to hold it down for 20-30 secs. Sometimes I have to make 2-3 attempts at this, releasing in between, in order to get the Linx 8 to boot.
Any suggestions? Has anyone else experienced issues like this?
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by danskeman » November 18th, 2015, 6:09 pm

dpweeks wrote:Hi danskeman
Since upgrading to Windows 10 I have encountered two problems with my Linx 8:
1. Restart no longer works. When I initiate Restart from the Start menu, the tablet shuts down but never reboots. I have to power it up manually by holding down the power button.
2. Powering up has become more difficult. Holding the power button down for more than 8 secs does not always result in the Linx 8 booting. Sometimes I have to hold it down for 20-30 secs. Sometimes I have to make 2-3 attempts at this, releasing in between, in order to get the Linx 8 to boot.
Any suggestions? Has anyone else experienced issues like this?

Not sure, but mine takes one or two attempts sometimes. I kind of wonder if the actual physical contact buttons are getting worn/corroded.

More seriously, power + vol up boots into a strange text menu now rather then the classic 6 icon menu. This has only happened recently. I cannot see why upgrading from 10240 to 10586 should do this.
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dpweeks » November 18th, 2015, 11:25 pm

Hi danskeman,
My Linx 8 has also recently upgraded itself to Build 10586. After reading your post, I have just checked Power + Vol up. It still boots to the 6 icon UEFI menu correctly.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by danskeman » November 25th, 2015, 8:44 pm

dpweeks wrote:Hi danskeman,
My Linx 8 has also recently upgraded itself to Build 10586. After reading your post, I have just checked Power + Vol up. It still boots to the 6 icon UEFI menu correctly.

No idea why mine is different now. It seems our roles are reversed :lol:
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous