Unable to see bootable USB Recovery drive

If its broke and it doesn't turn on you probably wanna post in here.

Re: Unable to see bootable USB Recovery drive

by trogggy » August 26th, 2015, 10:30 am

To be honest I can't really see the point of making a recovery drive now. I've used acronis in the past, very similar but doesn't work on the linx, and never had a problem restoring. The windows recovery image doesn't give me any advantages (that I can see anyway) over a macrium image, and I've read of so many complaints - won't back up to usb / won't restore - that it just doesn't look like a good option.
I'm going to make some restore points (they're off by default) and use macrium in the future. That, combined with moving data to a small partition at the end of the drive (so it's not lost in a restore), is pretty much what I've done on all my pc's.
Anyway thanks for steering people towards macrium - it works a treat.
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

by nememo » August 26th, 2015, 11:06 am

To be honest, unless you want a dirt clean install then the recovery drives serves little purpose. Its possible to create a custom install image, so I did have one that had a few of my apps ready to go and fully updated - however macrium would also do that.
For me then main use is that I can very quickly and easily go back to a clean slate on 8.1 (I'd lost the ability to revert from win10).

I use my tablet for a lot of car diagnostic work at the moment and there's a lot of different hardware with different drivers. As I found out, windows 10 didn't play perfectly with some of them, so the recovery key got me to a clean install (important for car diag software) within about 7 mins.
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

by trogggy » August 26th, 2015, 12:23 pm

What would be ideal would be if macrium could see the sd card when restoring. That way you could easily back up to and restore from the card (including change of os, obviously).
The question seems to be how to get drivers for the sd controller into the winpe image macrium uses - and I haven't found an answer to that.
Premium Member
Premium Member

Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

by dpweeks » August 28th, 2015, 3:49 pm

Hi folks,
Having started this thread, and carefully read all of the responses to this post, I am still struggling to create any kind of bootable USB stick that is actually visible to my Linx 8. I have tried all of the following approaches:
1. Created a bootable USB Recovery stick using Windows 8.1. This resulted in a FAT32 formatted stick with MBR partitioning. This was not recognized by the Linx 8 Boot Manager
2, Used Rufus2.2p to create a FAT32 formatted stick with GPT partitioning style, and manually copied the recovery files from 1. onto it. This was not recognized by the Linx 8 Boot Manager
3. Used Macrium Reflect Free v 6.0.753 to try to create a MRF bootable media. This complained that my USB stick was GPT partitioning style. So I created an ISO Repair image instead, then used rufus2.2p to reformat the USB stick to MBR partitioning style, and be bootable using that ISO. This was not recognized by the Linx 8 Boot manager.
4. Used Macrium Refelect Free to try to create a MRF bootable media again (on my USB stick which now has MBR partitioning style). This time it complained that my USB stick already had the maximum number of partitions on it, so I used the instructions here to clean it so that I could start over (FAT32 formatted with an MBR partitioning style): You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
5. Used Macrium Reflect Free to try to create a MRF bootable media again. This time the operation successfully created it (on the MBR partitioning style FAT32 formatted USB stick). However once again this was not recognized by the Linx 8 Boot Manager
6. Tried a completely different approach, and installed Seagate DiscWizard Build 5840 (based on Acronis), and tried to create a SDW bootable media. The operation successfully created it (on the MBR partitioning style FAT32 formatted USB stick). However once again this was not recognized by the Linx 8 Boot Manager.
7. Used Rufus2.2p to create a FAT32 formatted stick with GPT partitioning style again. Then used Seagate DiscWizard to create a SDW bootable media. The operation successfully created it (on the GPT partitioning style FAT32 formatted USB stick). However once again this was not recognized by the Linx 8 Boot Manager.
I always get the following Boot Manager display (i.e. no option to boot from USB) You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
Here are my Boot settings: You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
Here are my Advanced USB settings: You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
Any suggestions on how to proceed would be much appreciated, as this problem is gating me from being to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (which I don't want to do without having a way to restore either an MRF or SDW full system image backup, in the event that the upgrade fails). As described in a previous post in this thread, I am using an EasyAcc 4 port USB 3.0 hub and an OTG cable with the original Linx 8 USB Wall plug power supply, so I don't believe it is a power problem. Whilst I can see the USB drive at the Windows 8.1 level. I am never able to see it at the Bios/UEFI level. :-(
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Retailer: Wiziwoo

by danskeman » August 28th, 2015, 6:17 pm

hi dpweeks, let's try a different approach

1 do you have an external dvd drive. Dvd drivers are simpler so perhaps so perhaps we can just download 32bit iso on a pc, copy files to dvd, and see if you can boot to dvd drive and install that way?
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dpweeks » August 28th, 2015, 8:09 pm

Hi danskeman,

Unfortunately, I do not have an external DVD drive. I was wondering: could my EasyAcc USB 3 Hub be the problem in the sense that while USB 3 is supported by Linx 8 at Win 8.1 level, it might not be supported at the Bios/UEFI level. Has anyone else managed to boot from USB drive via a USB 3 Hub?

I don't have a USB 2 Hub to try, but as mentioned before, I did try connecting the USB drive directly to the OTG Y cable, with external power supply both connected and not connected. So if Linx 8 Bios/UEFI only supports USB2.0 then this should have worked.

One thing I have noticed recently is that USB keyboard and mouse connected via EasyAcc USB hub and OTG Y cable, work at the Win 8.1 level but not at the Bios/UEFI level. Only touch seems to work at Bios/UEFI level. Has anyone else found this too?

Finally, my Linx 8 has a Secure Boot menu option, and when I look in there (You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register), Secure Boot appears to be disabled, which to me would seem to imply that I should be able to boot from USB drive using the "legacy" approach. Does everyone else also have Secure boot disabled by default?
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by danskeman » September 2nd, 2015, 12:26 pm

dpweeks wrote:Hi danskeman,

Unfortunately, I do not have an external DVD drive. I was wondering: could my EasyAcc USB 3 Hub be the problem in the sense that while USB 3 is supported by Linx 8 at Win 8.1 level, it might not be supported at the Bios/UEFI level. Has anyone else managed to boot from USB drive via a USB 3 Hub?

I don't have a USB 2 Hub to try, but as mentioned before, I did try connecting the USB drive directly to the OTG Y cable, with external power supply both connected and not connected. So if Linx 8 Bios/UEFI only supports USB2.0 then this should have worked.

One thing I have noticed recently is that USB keyboard and mouse connected via EasyAcc USB hub and OTG Y cable, work at the Win 8.1 level but not at the Bios/UEFI level. Only touch seems to work at Bios/UEFI level. Has anyone else found this too?

Finally, my Linx 8 has a Secure Boot menu option, and when I look in there (You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register), Secure Boot appears to be disabled, which to me would seem to imply that I should be able to boot from USB drive using the "legacy" approach. Does everyone else also have Secure boot disabled by default?
dpweeks wrote:Hi danskeman,

Secure boot on is to stop other OSs using tablet unless they follow strict EUFI protocol. Turning it off is theoretically a bigger securitybrsk. Does not affect Windows.

Linx does not support USB3
OTG Y cables can be dodgy. Also people confuse an OTG cable with a usb to microusb cable converter.
The OTG cable is (allegedly) a special cable for android tablets.

Any usb hub with a simple usb /microusb cable (sort where you attach a phone to a pc) works on a Linx
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dpweeks » September 3rd, 2015, 5:10 pm

danskeman wrote:Secure boot on is to stop other OSs using tablet unless they follow strict EUFI protocol. Turning it off is theoretically a bigger securitybrsk. Does not affect Windows.

OTG Y cables can be dodgy. Also people confuse an OTG cable with a usb to microusb cable converter.

Any usb hub with a simple usb /microusb cable (sort where you attach a phone to a pc) works on a Linx

Hi danskeman,

Just as a matter of interest, what is the as shipped status of Secure Boot for Linx 8 tablets? Enabled or Disabled. I was given my Linx 8 so the previous owner may have turned it off if the default shipped status was Enabled. Anyhow, with it Disabled, I would expect to encounter no issues with booting from USB.

OK, I didn't realise Linx 8 only supported USB 2.0, but if I'm using an EasyAcc USB3.0 Hub it should be backwards compatible with USB2.0 and seems to work fine at Win 8.1 level

To eliminate any problem with the OTG Y cable, I have tried the following (your "Any usb hub with a simple usb /microusb cable " suggestion):

Connected the EasyAcc USB 3 Hub to main power using the USB Power plug that came with the Linx 8. i.e. EasyAcc Hub is now "self-powered".
Connected the USB IN port of the EasyAcc Hub to the Linx 8 tablet using the Standard USB A to Micro USB B cable that came with the Linx 8 tablet.

Once again, while I can use USB mouse, keyboard and USB stick when at Win 8.1 level, I am still unable to see the USB stick (Macrium refelect Free repair), when at the Bios/UEFI level.

So still completely stumped!

A request: could you post images of the Bios/UEFI level configurations for Advanced USB sessions and Boot settings for your Linx 8 so I can compare item by item. Also, can you tell me exactly what USB hub, cabling and USB devices you are using, so I can order identical items and try those.

Many thanks in advance
Dave
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by danskeman » September 3rd, 2015, 9:25 pm

dpweeks wrote:
danskeman wrote:Secure boot on is to stop other OSs using tablet unless they follow strict EUFI protocol. Turning it off is theoretically a bigger securitybrsk. Does not affect Windows.

Hi danskeman,

Just as a matter of interest, what is the as shipped status of Secure Boot for Linx 8 tablets? Enabled or Disabled. I was given my Linx 8 so the previous owner may have turned it off if the default shipped status was Enabled. Anyhow, with it Disabled, I would expect to encounter no issues with booting from USB.

OK, I didn't realise Linx 8 only supported USB 2.0, but if I'm using an EasyAcc USB3.0 Hub it should be backwards compatible with USB2.0 and seems to work fine at Win 8.1 level

To eliminate any problem with the OTG Y cable, I have tried the following (your "Any usb hub with a simple usb /microusb cable " suggestion):

Connected the EasyAcc USB 3 Hub to main power using the USB Power plug that came with the Linx 8. i.e. EasyAcc Hub is now "self-powered".
Connected the USB IN port of the EasyAcc Hub to the Linx 8 tablet using the Standard USB A to Micro USB B cable that came with the Linx 8 tablet.

Once again, while I can use USB mouse, keyboard and USB stick when at Win 8.1 level, I am still unable to see the USB stick (Macrium refelect Free repair), when at the Bios/UEFI level.

A request: could you post images of the Bios/UEFI level configurations for Advanced USB sessions and Boot settings for your Linx 8 so I can compare item by item. Also, can you tell me exactly what USB hub, cabling and USB devices you are using, so I can order identical items and try those.

Many thanks in advance
Dave

1. secure boot on or off will not affect anything. Petty sure mine was disabled by default.
2. my usb hub setup is basically same as you described.
3. I will try and get a an image of my tablets settings, bit pretty sure just the normal defaults.

Without going back over all old posts

1. you have tried other usb sticks?
2. have you tried a usb hard drive instead (a fixed drive rather than a removable drive?
3. is your bios up to date?
Premium Member
Premium Member

by danskeman » September 3rd, 2015, 9:53 pm

danskeman wrote:
dpweeks wrote:

Hi danskeman,

Many thanks in advance
Dave

1. secure boot on or off will not affect anything. Petty sure mine was disabled by default.
2. my usb hub setup is basically same as you described.
3. I will try and get a an image of my tablets settings, bit pretty sure just the normal defaults.

Without going back over all old posts

1. you have tried other usb sticks?
2. have you tried a usb hard drive instead (a fixed drive rather than a removable drive?
3. is your bios up to date?

Pictures (hope you can read them had to use camera on phone)
You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext