Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Unable to see bootable USB Recovery drive : Help (Linx 8) - 2

Unable to see bootable USB Recovery drive

If its broke and it doesn't turn on you probably wanna post in here.

Re: Unable to see bootable USB Recovery drive

by dpweeks » August 24th, 2015, 1:34 pm

... see "Bricked with a BIOS Setting" viewtopic.php?f=5&t=273
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Wiziwoo
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

by trogggy » August 24th, 2015, 1:39 pm

No idea on the bios - I've not changed anything on mine. But as I understand it if your drive's MBR it won't boot, full stop.
I'd try another usb drive, set it to gpt and fat32, copy the files across from your recovery drive and give that a go.
Premium Member
Premium Member

Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

by dpweeks » August 24th, 2015, 9:01 pm

Hi troggy, I copied all the files on my USB Recovery drive (with MBR formatting) into a folder on an SD card in my Linx 8. I then downloaded and used rufus-2.2p to reformat the USB drive as FAT32 with GPT partitioning style. When doing that, I had to deselect the option for "Create a bootable disk using ISO image" because I have no ISO image. I also deselected option "Create extended label and icon files". Once the USB drive formatting was complete, I copied all the previously saved Recovery files from the folder on the SD card, to the USB Drive as you suggested. It's not clear to me whether this procedure will result in a USB Recovery drive with FAT32 and GPT partitioning that is actually bootable. When I tried to boot from it by holding down Power and Vol+ buttons I still see no option for booting from USB in the Boot Manager menu. This would seem to confirm that the USB drive created is in fact not bootable.

What is the correct procedure for creating a Windows 8.1 USB Recovery drive that is FAT32 formatted with GPT partitioning that is actually bootable?

(P.S. It seems ridiculous that Windows 8.1 provided wizard tool for creating a USB Recovery drive doesn't create the right kind of partitioning style for that device, or give the user any option to manually select the partitioning style to be used! Is there a command line way of doing this?)
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by danskeman » August 24th, 2015, 9:43 pm

dpweeks wrote:Hi troggy, I copied all the files on my USB Recovery drive (with MBR formatting) into a folder on an SD card in my Linx 8. I then downloaded and used rufus-2.2p to reformat the USB drive as FAT32 with GPT partitioning style. When doing that, I had to deselect the option for "Create a bootable disk using ISO image" because I have no ISO image. I also deselected option "Create extended label and icon files". Once the USB drive formatting was complete, I copied all the previously saved Recovery files from the folder on the SD card, to the USB Drive as you suggested. It's not clear to me whether this procedure will result in a USB Recovery drive with FAT32 and GPT partitioning that is actually bootable. When I tried to boot from it by holding down Power and Vol+ buttons I still see no option for booting from USB in the Boot Manager menu. This would seem to confirm that the USB drive created is in fact not bootable.

What is the correct procedure for creating a Windows 8.1 USB Recovery drive that is FAT32 formatted with GPT partitioning that is actually bootable?

(P.S. It seems ridiculous that Windows 8.1 provided wizard tool for creating a USB Recovery drive doesn't create the right kind of partitioning style for that device, or give the user any option to manually select the partitioning style to be used! Is there a command line way of doing this?)

You are getting mixed up. The usb stick is not a gpt formatted drive (you can only put one main partition on a usb drive (apart from special windows to go usb sticks).

Get hold of the iso on this site and do following (easier on another pc - copy iso to a suitable directory).
see viewtopic.php?f=35&t=890

1. insert usb stick into pc

2. go to a command prompt with admin rights and type (press return, ignore comments in brackets)

diskpart

list disk (note disk number n of usb stick - can tell by capacity, usually last disk).

sel disk n (n from above eg 1, 2 be very careful you get this right)

clean (will wipe usb stick completely)

cre part pri

sel part 1 (only 1 partition)

format fs=fat32 quick

assign

exit

Now close command box.

3. Click on iso and mount it as a pseudo drive (not sure if you can do this on windows 7 without a 3rd party app)

4. copy all files from pseudo drive to usb stick

5. safely remove usb stick.

You now have a bootable usb stick that works on Linx 8.
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dpweeks » August 25th, 2015, 10:04 pm

Hi danskeman, now I'm confused. Troggy's post, and the article you referenced to get the ISO file both seem to imply that a USB Recovery drive must be FAT32 formatted with _GPT_ partitioning style in order to successfully boot from it on a Linx 8, but your post and instructions seem to contradict this - which is correct?
I will give both your approach, and the referenced article approach a go and see which one works...
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by trogggy » August 25th, 2015, 11:24 pm

Reading the link (nememo's post) I think that's where my understanding (that it must be gpt) originally came from. I may have misunderstood (sorry if so, I've wasted your time). I did a fresh install of 10 from a gpt formatted usb, and that went fine, but it's possible a recovery drive doesn't need to be formatted that way. I've not tried using a recovery drive because I couldn't make one before upgrading - every usb drive I tried was rejected by windows. I think that's a fairly common problem, lots of similar complaints on the net, so I've pretty much given up on using them.
I'm currently backing up my fresh install of 10 pro with macrium reflect free (danskeman's suggestion in another thread) - I'll try restoring that tomorrow, if it works (fingers crossed) it's an alternative (more flexible / better?) solution.
Premium Member
Premium Member

by danskeman » August 26th, 2015, 12:29 am

dpweeks wrote:Hi danskeman, now I'm confused. Troggy's post, and the article you referenced to get the ISO file both seem to imply that a USB Recovery drive must be FAT32 formatted with _GPT_ partitioning style in order to successfully boot from it on a Linx 8, but your post and instructions seem to contradict this - which is correct?
I will give both your approach, and the referenced article approach a go and see which one works...

The flash drive does not need to gpt. It just needs the files to be able to boot when inserted into a eufi pc or bios pc (or both).

You cannot make a gpt usb stick normally.
Premium Member
Premium Member

by danskeman » August 26th, 2015, 12:42 am

trogggy wrote:Reading the link (nememo's post) I think that's where my understanding (that it must be gpt) originally came from. I may have misunderstood (sorry if so, I've wasted your time). I did a fresh install of 10 from a gpt formatted usb, and that went fine, but it's possible a recovery drive doesn't need to be formatted that way. I've not tried using a recovery drive because I couldn't make one before upgrading - every usb drive I tried was rejected by windows. I think that's a fairly common problem, lots of similar complaints on the net, so I've pretty much given up on using them.
I'm currently backing up my fresh install of 10 pro with macrium reflect free (danskeman's suggestion in another thread) - I'll try restoring that tomorrow, if it works (fingers crossed) it's an alternative (more flexible / better?) solution.

You need to create a Macrium Rescue usb stick. You will need a usb hub, usb mouse and the two usb stick (Rescue stick and image stick - you can copy image onto rescue stick if enough capacity). Backup image has to be on a usb stick. MRF cannot read SD cards (yet).

If MRF fails (should work), then you would have to reinstall 10 Pro again but it will activate as you are already activated.
Really it is the fact that W10 uses a standard installation iso now rather than the special Bing iso (not available to public) tbat is a major plus for W10 in Linx tablets.
Premium Member
Premium Member

by trogggy » August 26th, 2015, 12:56 am

I'm trying the macrium recovery boot, so no usb stick needed. Backed up to an external hard drive, restoring from the same. My wireless mouse and keyboard work in macrium.
It's sitting at about 11% now, so I'll know whether it works in the morning.
The image I'm recovering was a fresh install, it was fairly straightforward to do once I realized you need to delete all the partitions on the emc - first time I left the 100MB system partition, it worked fine but didn't give me the recovery partition.
And yep, it's nice to not have to worry about wimboot.

Edit: That went well, no problems at all using macrium.
Premium Member
Premium Member

by danskeman » August 26th, 2015, 10:12 am

trogggy wrote:I'm trying the macrium recovery boot, so no usb stick needed. Backed up to an external hard drive, restoring from the same. My wireless mouse and keyboard work in macrium.
It's sitting at about 11% now, so I'll know whether it works in the morning.
The image I'm recovering was a fresh install, it was fairly straightforward to do once I realized you need to delete all the partitions on the emc - first time I left the 100MB system partition, it worked fine but didn't give me the recovery partition.
And yep, it's nice to not have to worry about wimboot.

Edit: That went well, no problems at all using macrium.

MRF is a great tool. I backup monthly - takes less than 15 mins.

I have had loads of emails back from people who have tried it, and found it worked first time. Only one has ever complained, but he did not follow my advice properly - refused to listen. He accused me of being over cautious, and knew an easier way. It bit him up the bum!

I am glad you have done this - it confirms MRF works, but it is still a good plan to make a basic recovery usb drive as well.

I am sure it would work on other Linx tablets as well, but nobody has confirmed if they have done it.
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext