Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Unable to see bootable USB Recovery drive : Help (Linx 8)

Unable to see bootable USB Recovery drive

If its broke and it doesn't turn on you probably wanna post in here.

Unable to see bootable USB Recovery drive

by dpweeks » August 22nd, 2015, 10:15 pm

I have an Easyacc 4 port USB hub with mouse, keyboard and USB Recovery drive connected to my Linx 8 using an OTG USB adaptor cable. From Win 8.1 on the Linx 8, I was able to see the USB drive and thus successfully create a Recovery drive, however when I try to boot from it by pressing Power and Vol+ buttons then selecting the Boot Manager, no USB drive appears in the Boot Options Menu. I only see "Windows Boot Manager" and "Internal EFI Shell". I have tried two different 8 Gb USB drives, and encountered the same problem. "USB Boot" is Enabled in the "Boot Menu". In the "Advanced Menu" for USB settings, all items listed are Enabled/On except for "USB OTG Support" which is Disabled. These settings are all as shipped. Any suggestions?
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Wiziwoo
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Unable to see bootable USB Recovery drive

by trogggy » August 23rd, 2015, 12:51 am

Have you tried connecting the usb drives directly (ie otg cable, no hub)?
Premium Member
Premium Member

Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

by danskeman » August 23rd, 2015, 11:19 am

trogggy wrote:Have you tried connecting the usb drives directly (ie otg cable, no hub)?

Also, can you see usb drive from windows 10?
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dpweeks » August 24th, 2015, 10:49 am

Yes I did try connecting the USB drive directly to the OTG cable (no USB 3.0 Hub present), and again, whilst I can see the USB drive from Windows 8.1, I am unable to see it from the Boot Manager menu.

My purpose is to prepare for upgrade to and potential fallback from Windows 10, so I don't know whether Windows 10 would be able to see it, though if Windows 8.1 can, I would expect that Windows 10 could too.

This is the OTG cable that I am using: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004 ... ge_o02_s00
This is the USB 3.0 Hub that I am using: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superspeed-Bus- ... +usb+3+hub

I have the micro USB connector of the OTG cable connected to the Linx 8.
I have the black plug of the OTG cable plugged directly into the USB 3.0 Hub's USB IN socket (i.e. USB Hub is therefore operating in bus-powered mode).
I have a USB mouse, keyboard and 8 Gb USB drive plugged into the USB 3.0 Hub's USB OUT sockets.
I have the red plug of the OTG cable plugged into a USB wall plug charger capable of delivering 2 amps, and is therefore powering both the USB 3.0 Hub, it's connected devices, and the Linx 8 tablet. Under Win 8.1, the taskbar power icon indicates that the Linx 8 is plugged in and is charging. Mouse, keyboard and USB drive all work fine from Win 8.1's point of view. So it does not seem that there is any USB powering problem.

It's just the UEFI/Bios level where I have the problem. It does not see a the bootable USB Recovery drive I created at the Win 8.1. level. Same problem encountered with two different USB drives. I don't have a USB 2.0 Hub to try, but understand that USB 3.0 Hubs are fully backwards compatible with USB 2.0 devices.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by dpweeks » August 24th, 2015, 10:53 am

P.S. Further to the above, when connecting the USB drive directly to the OTG cable (i.e. no USB 3.0 Hub present), I had to use this USB Female to Female adaptor: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F ... ge_o01_s00
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by trogggy » August 24th, 2015, 12:17 pm

All that comes to mind is to check your usb drives are formatted with fat32 and gpt rather than mbr partitioned - both of those are needed for them to show up as bootable.
Other than that I'm stumped, sorry.
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dpweeks » August 24th, 2015, 12:32 pm

If a bootable USB Recovery drive is created by Windows 8.1, would it not automatically be formatted with FAT32 and GPT partitioned in the process? Doing Properties on it shows it is USB formatted. Disk Management also shows it as a single partition and formatted as FAT32. How do I determine whether the partition is GPT or MBR?
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by dpweeks » August 24th, 2015, 12:45 pm

Type: that should have read "... Doing Properties on it shows it is FAT32 formatted. ..."
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by trogggy » August 24th, 2015, 12:46 pm

You can check whether GPT or MBR in disk management (right click computer > manage > disk management - right click on the disk (on the left of the page), look at the 'volumes' tab.
There's probably an easier way but I don't know it.

Edit: Easier way...
Mini tool partition wizard home edition (ie free) shows whether a drive is GPT or MBR. Similar programs (eg easus) probably do too.
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dpweeks » August 24th, 2015, 1:31 pm

Thanks for that. My USB Recovery Drive shows as being MBR partition style (as expected).

What is the purpose of the "USB OTG Support" setting in UEFI/Bios? Currently it is Disabled on my Linx. I've been reluctant to try changing that since I read somewhere else on this forum that changing it to "PCI Mode" bricked someone's Linx 7...
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Next