Help: Intermittent OTG & Charging (inc. Aliexpress type)

General chit-chat on the Linx 8

Help: Intermittent OTG & Charging (inc. Aliexpress type)

by Reesrevo » July 28th, 2015, 9:47 am

Hi,

I've a curious issue with my Linx 8.

I have two types of OTG charging hubs. The Aliexpress one ( You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register ) and one like this You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register that I've had for a while (call it the original one).

I thought when the original one turned up I'd seen it working, but it was a while ago and I may have tested that using a 1A USB power supply at work (a 2A one). Roll forwards to home, and I'm trying to use a USB condensor Mic which has a light on it, if I leave it plugged directly in it drains the Linx 8s battery. I tried, and checked the UEFI bios settings based around what I'd seen on this forum, but I could not get it working.

Yesterday the Aliexpress one turned up, and couldn't get it going. After a few things, the biggest being then when I changed from what I discovered was a 500ma charger to a 2.5A Apple iPad charger it worked. Bingo! or so I thought, left it charging over night and this morning I am unable to get it to work again. Just to confirm Its in switch position #2.

I have seen a few hints around here on things to try, but don't want to lead this conversation down a particular road until suggested.

Help!

R.

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Sainsburys
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Help: Intermittent OTG & Charging (inc. Aliexpress type)

by decpvr » July 30th, 2015, 7:42 pm

Have you tried a hard shutdown (hold down the power button to force a full shutdown)?

IIRC it works best if the OTG adapter has a power supply plugged into it first, then attach it to your Linx8 and finally boot up.

If you have a read through the aliexpress OTG adapter thread, I'm fairly sure this method (or something similar) is mentioned.

Give it a try and let us know if that works. I hope this info helps.

It is a bit of a faff, but I imagine it has to be, as these devices aren't intended to be charged with a OTG device in use at the same time.

Retailer: N/A
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

by Reesrevo » July 31st, 2015, 2:24 pm

I read through all posts I could find, made notes and and tried each thing.

I've tried each order of powering/inserting with forced and non forced reboots, and a few variations of that with the BIOS settings changed and a few different cables. Although I was fairly thorough already, the next step I guess is to try it with maximum scrutiny.

I guess its not even intermittent, I've seen it work, but with or without changes can't repro anything and haven't had it working since.

The only thing so far is, it was last worked when the battery was pretty much dead. So the "reboot" method wasn't the hold down the button for 10 seconds one, but an actual proper power loss.

I won't get a chance now for a week or so, but my next plan, unless something better comes up, is to map out all the bios options and the behaviours in a spreadsheet.

Retailer: Sainsburys

by boundy » August 1st, 2015, 8:54 am

I also have the Ali express hub, I had it working a few times, but there was no pattern or consistency to when it worked. I've just updated to Win10, so though I'd have another play. If I plugged in the hub to the wall adapter, plugged in my USB devices to the hub and then slowed inserted it in to the tablet, it worked every time. When inserting the hub in to the tablet, I pushed it in just enough to hear the relay click twice in the hub and then pushed it all the way in. This seemed to work everytime I tried. I left it plugged in over night with the original Linx power supply, with a memory stick, wireless mouse receiver and an iPhone plugged into the hub. It gained 10% battery overnight.

Retailer: Staples