Remove Advertisement

Backup image of Linx8 - update

General chit-chat on the Linx 8

Backup image of Linx8 - update

Postby danskeman » July 13th, 2015, 9:45 am

In my previous email, I showed how you could use Macrium Reflect Free (MRF) to recover a C drive image.

I just did a test and reset my tablet back to factory condition, and then recovered a backup image of my C drive using MRF. This worked perfectly. So now I know I have a method of backing up my Linx8 without having to reinstall all my apps.

Now the big one - then I tried just doing a full recovery of all partitions using MRF and this overwrites everything.
OMG - it worked first time.

So to do a full backup, you need:

1) 2 usb sticks - one to hold bootable MRF recovery system (4 Gb min) and one to hold backup image (16GB min)
2) A usb hub (powered is probably better)
3) A usb mouse.

Procedure (Make sure battery is well charged):

1) install MRF on Linx8

2) Run MRF and create a MRF recovery USB - use windows PE5 not Linux.

3) Create backup image (select all partitions) to USB stick (not one containing rcovery system).
Do not back up SD card - that will not bee seen by recovery system. You can just copy this anyway.

4) To recover, connect both usb and mouse to Linx 8 using usb hub.

5) Boot tablet pressing power+volume up button, sel boot manager, select boot from usb, and it will boot nto MRF recovery.

6) Then using MRF, select image to be restored (if image is over 4GB, it wil be broken down into several parts - just click image xxxxx00 .

7) Then start backup and wait for a few minutes (mine took 12 minutes but I did not have a lot of stuff on tablet).

8) Remove usb hub and reboot PC.

I know this worked on my Linx 8, and it should work on a Linx 10. May be more of an issue on a Linx 7 as it is not so easy to boot from a usb stick.

!
Naturally, I take no responsibility if it does not work on your tablet. Also make sure you have a Linx recovery usb stick in case all fails, and that you have backed up any critical data before you start any recovery.
danskeman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Remove Ad

Re: Backup image of Linx8 - update

Postby danskeman » July 16th, 2015, 1:05 pm

update: Just updated to Macrium Reflect Free version 6 and the recovery usb crashes on boot up. Version 5 works ok.

Will investigate further.
danskeman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby danskeman » July 16th, 2015, 4:53 pm

Can't get version 6 usb recovery to boot.
Have just tried installing easeus todo backup free, and the recovery usb reboots ok.
Made a full backup and just tried a C drive recovery and that worked but did an automatic repair on startup. Booted fine after that. Problem could be because my tablet shut down just at end of recovery and battery was flat - i will try again with fully charged battery and also try a full recovery.
danskeman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby danskeman » July 16th, 2015, 7:40 pm

Tried a full recovery with easeus and it looked like it had worked until I rebooted then it failed to reboot.

So to summarise all my tests do far, Macrium Reflect Free version 5 will so a complete recovery. Easeus is too flakey to trust.

Macrium 6 wont boot which is a problem as it may be difficult to get version 5 anymore.
danskeman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby danskeman » July 16th, 2015, 8:13 pm

Macrium version I used is 5.3.7299. It is available on some websites if you search for specific version.
danskeman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby danskeman » July 27th, 2015, 11:00 pm

Good news - I managed to get the new version 6 of Macrium Reflect Free working. When you create the usb recovery disk, choose to use win pe4 rather than the default win pe5. The version of win pe does not affect the actual backup.

Have managed to do a full backup and restore with no problems at all. I even backed up my windows 10 installation.
danskeman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby danskeman » July 28th, 2015, 8:50 pm

If anybody wanys to try it, download the macrium usb recovery iso from following url:
You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register

Format a Usb stick with Fat32, open iso and copy all files to usb stick. You will need a usb mouse and keyboard to use this.

Cover my rear clause: Do not use this UNLESS you have made a windowd usb recovery disk as described in guides section, in case things go pearshaped.
danskeman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby danskeman » July 28th, 2015, 8:57 pm

sorry wrong link. here is correct one.

You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
danskeman
Premium Member