OTG and charging

General chit-chat on the Linx 8

OTG and charging

by nememo » December 31st, 2014, 7:38 pm

So, we're a bit sparse here in the 8" forum! I'm still out and about for Xmas/new year, but I'm hoping to have a play about with a couple of other cables and hubs when I get back to see how the 8" reacts when trying to charge it and use OTG at the same time.

Has anyone with an 8 tried doing so yet?
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: OTG and charging

by colincliff » January 2nd, 2015, 11:23 am

Hi, yes, I'm using this hub - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I ... KLQNDJGIS2. It has a power input as well as 4 usb ports.

The tablet recognises the charge and the attached usb devices at the same time. At the moment the issue I am having is very slow charge when other USB devices are plugged in. This means that the battery still discharges when the tablet is being use, all be it slower than if the power wasn't attached

I'm trying to get the the point where I could use the table as a basic laptop replacement when I am travelling and could plug it into a monitor and keyboard/mouse for long periods of time (i.e all day) whilst also charging the battery. I am going to buy a 2 amp usb charger and see if this helps and will post back.
Original Member
Original Member

by nememo » January 2nd, 2015, 9:11 pm

Unfortunately doesn't seem to work with my cheapy ebay special hub - either charge or OTG but not both.

I'd love to get my hands on one of the HP Chromebook 3A micro-USB chargers - that should provide some serious juice IF the Linx would accept such a current. Unfortunately they seem extremely hard to get hold of, and they're very prone to breaking.
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dann » January 2nd, 2015, 9:38 pm

nememo wrote:Unfortunately doesn't seem to work with my cheapy ebay special hub - either charge or OTG but not both.

I'd love to get my hands on one of the HP Chromebook 3A micro-USB chargers - that should provide some serious juice IF the Linx would accept such a current. Unfortunately they seem extremely hard to get hold of, and they're very prone to breaking.

found a cheaper 3a charger.. http://amzn.to/1I5Fkda
Dann
Admin
Founder/Admin
Founder/Admin

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Staples UK
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

by colincliff » January 2nd, 2015, 11:58 pm

I've gone for this one so that I can use with the hub mentioned above - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-100-240V-D ... 1626729479

Hopefully won't take too long to arrive.
Original Member
Original Member

by nememo » January 3rd, 2015, 9:14 am

I'm always very wary of these types of charger - I would be very surprised if they can actually give out 15W of power.
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

by nememo » January 3rd, 2015, 1:36 pm

So now I'm on 8.1 Pro... and my cheapy OTG hub is actually providing power and data at the same time... albeit from what I gather is already a much reduced rate. Certainly points to software rather than hardware!

So... using a USB power meter (Worthwhile buy - between £5-£10 off ebay. Can get a basic one, or one with an OLED display like below) I've measured the input into the tablet whilst using the OTG hub and without. This is using the stock USB charger, which is rated for 2 amps.

Power direct to tablet:

Power via OTG hub:

As you can see, there's quite a difference, over 1/3 more power being provided when skipping the OTG hub.
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

by K1lo » January 3rd, 2015, 11:03 pm

Niiiice! I have to get me one of those power meters! Little surprised a hub would impact it like this.. were there any USB devices attached to the hub at the same time?
K1lo

by nememo » January 4th, 2015, 11:06 am

That was only with a keyboard and mouse in the mix, which wouldn't explain such a change in power.

It looks suspiciously like the hub is simply providing the tablet with USB-spec power (5v @ 500mA) - clearly not enough to keep the tablet charged, as mine was losing power, albeit very slowly.
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

by gh97 » January 10th, 2015, 11:42 pm

This would be ideal but they don't appear to ship outside the US. : You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
Linx 8 owner
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Retailer: Ebuyer
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

Next