Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Don't scratch it! (warning) it could break. : General (Linx 8)

Don't scratch it! (warning) it could break.

General chit-chat on the Linx 8

Don't scratch it! (warning) it could break.

by bkmaracas » April 29th, 2015, 5:26 pm

Hi, very pleased with my linx 8, got some plans for it.

However I managed to scratch the screen the other day, ok, annoying but I could live with a scratch, its a cheap tab right?

But - when I gave the scratch I little buff with a cloth in the hope of improving things visually, the whole screen *cracked* across its width..

This was not so pleasing.

Something about the cheap material used in the screen means a normally harmless visual blemish can develop into a full failure with minimal input from user.

I've contacted support as I feel this falls under design fault /fit for purpose territory but also warning folk to go carefu! Or use a protector because bizarrely a simple scratch can be the start of big problem very easily.

Otherwise its a cool tab.

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Amazon

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Don't scratch it! (warning) it could break.

by Big Elf » April 30th, 2015, 12:35 am

Did you use a product containing Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) to try and remove the scratch or just a cloth? IPA will react badly with some acrylics causing crazing/cracks.

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

by JR_bitter » June 17th, 2015, 7:33 am

i had same problem
had a scratch, cleaned screen to put screen protector on a few days later a massive crack on the screen which now seems to have grown a twin.
was not aware of the wipes i used possibly being the cause.

Any chance of getting this repaired by manufacturer?

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Very

by Deleted User 1605 » June 17th, 2015, 8:52 am

Hello All,

The screens are glass.. I can tell you from experience rebuilding fish tanks that glass is a very weird substance.
It propagates cracks.. sometimes months or even years after the initial damage.
This is one reason that glass edges are often polished (or at least ground flat), to remove micro-fractures from the cutting procedure that can propagate into large scale failure.

Impact or other stress damage coupled with a little heat expansion can then lead to the problems you are describing.

Bodge99
Deleted User 1605