Linx & Win 8 newb. Tips, bluetooth, keyboard & mouse advice.

General chit-chat on the Linx 8

Linx & Win 8 newb. Tips, bluetooth, keyboard & mouse advice.

by jackhulk » April 26th, 2015, 7:19 pm

Hello

Currently I'm in the market for a budget Windows 8 tablet. Earlier in the week I actually ordered and received a Hudl 2, but before it arrived I discovered the Linx at an incredible low cost. I would always prefer a full windows tablet over android any day, but didn't realize until this weekend that it was possible to get one for the same price, no, actually at a lower price then an android equivalent!

Spent the rest of the weekend then trying to decide between Linx 8 and Linx 10. The reason I'm purchasing now is that I sold my Samsung N220 netbook as hardly ever used it, but as I'm going away soon, I do need a device for work purposes. However, as this will be so much more lighter/portable than netbook, I think I will likely use this more around the house, so this will be used probably 80/20 personal/work split. For that reason and coupled with the large price increase between the Linx 8 and 10, I decided on the 8 as seems much better value and good size/weight for holding, but just hope that it's still adequate for work. This will basically just involve emailing though Thunderbird really. Any of you use Linx 8 with Thunderbird, and if so how do you find the screen size?

So when I receive my Linx 8, what tips should I follow if any? I've read the thread regarding extracting the the Office 365 key which I plan to do, and then install Office 2010. Then, well that's it so far. I've NEVER used a Windows 8 phone, tablet or even on the PC yet as main PC is still running Windows 7, so guess there is some learning to do there. I don't know much about Windows 8 at all, as it's one of those Windows versions I planned on completely skipping on my PC (like I did with Vista). Have any of your bothered to install app to bring back start menu or have you learnt to live without?

To bluetooth or not to bluetooth, that be my question.
Any issues with the bluetooth and WIFI working together on Linx 8? I've read that this can cause issues when using both at the same time. Read that perhaps newer drivers are the cause of the failings, so is there a Windows update I should look for and then avoid installing please, or is that wishful thinking?

To be honest I've never really liked using bluetooth devices as range is normally poor compared to radio, and of course power draining, so how do you guys find it power wise using say a bluetooth mouse and keyboard? Would these devices constantly seek pairing every time the Linx wakes up? Is there much lag or does this vary between devices? It's many years since I last tried to use a bluetooth device (with horrible results), so hopefully things have moved on since then.

Case and keyboard
Done a lot of research on this as well, and think I will go for the Kensington KeyFolio Pro 2, as fits my needs and at a good price, but has anyone any first hand experience using this with the Linx 8? Do it actually have a UK keyboard layout, as ALL the pictures sellers are using show US keyboard layout, but hoping this is just a generic image used. The only thing I wish this combo had though was a trackpad, so alternative option would be the Logitech wireless touch keyboard K400, although this would be giving up the micro usb port for charging, so would need a splitter, which then makes things a little messing. If the bluetooth/WIFI play nicely, I'd just use the micro usb for charging.

Mouse
Again ideally I'd be looking at bluetooth IF not to power hungry and without lag, if that's possible with bluetooth? Haven't researched this at all yet, so open to suggestions for both radio and bluetooth versions.

I'll stop waffling now. Am excited though as can't believe these sell for such a low price of which is essentially a full PC! Still kicking myself though as I know people got an even more crazy bargain just before Christmas, but as I didn't think a Windows 8 tablet would be anywhere near such low prices, I wasn't looking. Still wasn't looking early this week, but thankfully found the Linx before I opened the Hudl 2 I received, so that's being sacked and in it's place soon lands my Linx 8. :D
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: None
Retailer: None

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Linx & Win 8 newb. Tips, bluetooth, keyboard & mouse adv

by thatmakesmemad » April 28th, 2015, 7:03 am

Go bluetooth. With keyboards if it's cheap then it's US layout but the only way you'll use wireless usb devices is with an otg hub of some sort.
Try using a mouse emulator app if you need the greater precision of a trackpad over touch.
Unless you're planning on plugging your tablet into a 50" screen and sitting at the other end of the room then range shouldn't be an issue.
Linx User
Linx User

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

by jackhulk » May 30th, 2015, 6:25 pm

Thank you. What mouse emulator app would you recommend please?
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: None
Retailer: None

by thatmakesmemad » June 1st, 2015, 7:14 am

No idea as I use a bluetooth mouse.
Look in the games sections as I think there's a thread in there about soft mouse apps.
Linx User
Linx User

Retailer: amazon

by loulou » June 1st, 2015, 11:38 am

jackhulk wrote:Thank you. What mouse emulator app would you recommend please?
Surprised no-one's replied to you sooner. The one often recommended is TouchMousePointer You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register though I must admit I prefer using my Logitech wireless mouse (the unifying USB dongle means I can add multiple wireless devices at once) - Desktop is also slightly easier for me to navigate as I have a Linx 10.
Linx User
Linx User

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Staples

by danskeman » June 2nd, 2015, 12:10 pm

jackhulk wrote:Thank you. What mouse emulator app would you recommend please?

touchmousepointer is a great app.
Premium Member
Premium Member

Retailer: Amazon

by PhillNorman » June 5th, 2015, 11:36 am

Hi!

I'm sure that you will be up and running by now, but thought I would mention that I use my Linx in the kitchen for Internet radio and other media playback. It's played back through some Creative 2.1 bluetooth speakers. Works with no problems at all. The only irritation is that the Linx is put into standby at night and the speakers are switched off - in the morning I seem to have to switch the Linx bluetooth off and back on to get it to connect to the speakers. Power drain isn't a problem for me as the Linx is usually connected to the charger. I have a Sony PS3 bluetooth keyboard that I will try at some point. What I need to make is a holder that will allow me to mount the Linx onto a wall and have it rotatable!

Phil.

Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 8.1