Remove Advertisement

Latest windows annaversary update causing problems.

General chit-chat on the Linx 8

Re: Latest windows update bricking Linx Tablets.

Postby Chriswright03 » December 9th, 2016, 7:20 pm

Below is the answer I received from Linx. They replied very quickly and I have done as suggested and it has worked without a problem ever since. The battery is also lasting far longer. Not certain this would solve all the problems but for what it is worth.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the email.

You are correct, this issue is occuring due to the latest Windows Update it seems. Until Microsoft release a fix we have found that disabling Fast Boot helps to stop the device from turning on and off randomly when not in use.

Please see below on how to disable the Fast Boot feature:

Type Control Panel in the search box.

Click Control Panel.

Click Power Options.

Click Choose what the power buttons do.

Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.

Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup.

Click Save changes

Regards

Jordan Woodcock

Technical Support
Chriswright03
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: Currys
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Remove Ad

Postby F0LLETT » December 10th, 2016, 12:01 am

How are people going to try this, if their tablets wont even turn on?
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos

Postby Chriswright03 » December 11th, 2016, 6:57 pm

My understanding was that everyone wasn't in the same position and some were having problems with the battery running down as was I. Of course if I am wrong and this is of no interest then feel free to delete my post.

I thought it was interesting that they are saying they are waiting for MS to issue a fix. I also thought it worth posting as I received a reply to my question the next day and wasn't ignored like some are saying.
Chriswright03
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby 90Ninety » December 17th, 2016, 12:51 pm

F0LLETT wrote:Just to update. I just realised my linx was not running 1607 update. Despite it saying it was fully up to date.
Now tried letting it install and it doesnt try to flash firmware. So I would say Vision is safe.

]
The 1607 update has put my VIsion in a boot loop , it appears to be starting with the Linx emblem and cycling dots , then it displays an illuminated black screen then restarts :roll: . Just currently combing through these forums for a solution now :|
Linx Vision - stuck in boot loop
90Ninety
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: None
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

Postby F0LLETT » December 17th, 2016, 1:20 pm

My new image isnt booting. So need to work on it more. Works do, this weekend, so wont have time.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT

Postby deancoulson » December 17th, 2016, 6:40 pm

I have Just bought a linx 8 vision for my son for Christmas. I thought I would apply the updates before Xmas day so that he could just start playing with it. After windows 10 update 1607 I now have a useless tablet which will not turn on at all. I am going to take it back to Argos tomorrow, however, Now I have the dilemma of getting another one in case it happens again.

Has anyone got some definitive advice on how to prevent this from happening or recover from it yet?
deancoulson

Postby m0rphs16 » December 17th, 2016, 9:11 pm

anybody have a receipt for a linx 10?

mine is completely dead after windows update.

contacted linx and they wont do anything as I was given the tablet as a gift. and cant get the receipt :(

so currently stuck with an expensive paperweight...

seems odd as its not a user fault, its Microsoft.

any help appreciated!

daz
m0rphs16

Retailer: currys

Postby hertston » December 19th, 2016, 1:35 pm

itswindy wrote:Hi, I'd just like to share a little bit of my problem and solution, not sure it will help anyone else, but here goes. My tablet is a Linx 8 with windows 8.1 installed, been working perfectly up until about 2 weeks ago and then it just seemed to die. Tried everything, cables, chargers, holding buttons etc, would not boot at all. Then found this video You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register and though its a different tablet I gave it a go, Hey presto, it's back to life, unbelievable. No thanks to exertis as they are useless, pointed them to this page/site and though they acknowledged it, advised me to take the tablet to a repair shop as it was past it's 12 month warranty.

Just to bump this a bit, as it worked for me as well with Windows 10. Sequence was as follows,

1. Hadn't used tablet in a while, so it ran a Windows 10 update.
2. Touch screen non-functional, and 'no sound device installed' (yet again)
3. After trying assorted stuff with no joy, reset, wipe, fresh install of Windows 10 followed by installation of drivers from this site. Working!
4. Another bloody update. Tablet (presumably) entered sleep mode following this.
5. Now dead as a particularly brick-like dodo.
6. Disconnected and reconnected battery as shown in the video. Working again! (and sleep mode now turned firmly off)

Certainly worth a go. It's even easier with a Linx 10 than in the vid, as the back is rather easier to remove and the battery easier to unplug than on the tablet he was using.
hertston

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: PC World

Postby Dingles » December 20th, 2016, 8:34 pm

My Linx10 started being a pain to start up, seemed like a battery issue as it wouldn't turn on unless it had been plugged in for 10 minutes first, even though when on the battery was at 50%.

Doing the FastBoot turn off trick seems to have stopped the issue, which I found searching here...
thanks to all!! :P

On a side note, at the same time the Day/Time seemed to go out of sync by 2 days and 2 hours, I manually adjusted it, turned Auto Sync back on and it would just "go wrong" again, so it's now on Manual.

I'll put a new thread up to ask about this properly, but has anyone else who's tablet has gone screwy had this issue at the same time? it seemed to coincide with the "battery" issue...
Dingles

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Hughes

Postby GingaNinja » December 21st, 2016, 12:42 am

Hi folks. Got a Linx Vision coming later this week. Based on all the problems peeps are having, not sure I want to let it update. Seems like a lottery. Is there any tried and tested way to update Windows without bricking the tablet? (Didn't notice anything on the forum, but I might not be looking hard enough.)

Ginga
GingaNinja

PreviousNext

Return to General (Linx 8)