Remove Advertisement

Windows components not needed with a linx

General chit-chat on the Linx 8

Windows components not needed with a linx

Postby guythp » March 5th, 2016, 10:24 pm

Evening all,

I recently bought a second hand linx 8 and I was wondering if anyone has tried or knows which components within windows are required by a tablet. I was thinking of ways to free up space, ie : removing printer drivers as I'm never going to use the tablet to print.. that sort of thing.

Also, can anyone recommend a browser that likes this forum? I'm grateful for its existence, but it runs like a pig on opera, firefox and (ironically) IE on the linx. :)

Thanks in advance,

Guy
guythp

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: ebay
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

Remove Ad

Re: Windows components not needed with a linx

Postby F0LLETT » March 5th, 2016, 10:49 pm

guythp wrote:Evening all,

I recently bought a second hand linx 8 and I was wondering if anyone has tried or knows which components within windows are required by a tablet. I was thinking of ways to free up space, ie : removing printer drivers as I'm never going to use the tablet to print.. that sort of thing.

Also, can anyone recommend a browser that likes this forum? I'm grateful for its existence, but it runs like a pig on opera, firefox and (ironically) IE on the linx. :)

Thanks in advance,

Guy

If its running windows 10, check for a windows.old folder. as this will contain the old win8.1 install. That generally takes up space.

On browser, nope, every browser runs awful with this site. I have tweaked Firefox and its viewable now.
Need to workout how to kill the Flash plugin container once and for all.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: Windows components not needed with a linx

Postby meagain » March 6th, 2016, 1:44 pm

Yup, this site does not run well even on an i5 Ultrabook.

About reducing the size of Windows, take a look at WinReducer or NTLite if you're ok with having to reinstall. I've used WinReducer successfully in the past to fit Windows 10 Pro and a collection of games onto a bootable 16GB USB by stripping out a lot of the useless Modern and Universal apps, as well as backwards compatibility and unused drivers. This should also work on the Linx - you could remove all non-Linx drivers as well as features and apps you're not going to use.
Otherwise, of course, there's the microSD card slot - you should easily be able to move over the Library (documents, photos, music etc) locations to that and possibly some apps too.
- meagain
Watch this space
meagain
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: LaptopOutlet
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

Return to General (Linx 8)