Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Windows 8.1 Pro Install Image : General (Linx 8) - 3

Windows 8.1 Pro Install Image

General chit-chat on the Linx 8

Re: Windows 8.1 Pro Install Image

by azza24 » June 20th, 2015, 11:52 am

When I use the oem image it takes up so much space is that normal
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: google

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

by nememo » June 20th, 2015, 7:53 pm

Yes, it's normal.

So the Linx 8 has a 32GB storage drive, which in Windows terms is 29.8GB (To a storage drive maker they use a base of 1000, whereas OS's use 1024).

Of this 29.8GB, some of it gets removed (in reality its just hidden from the user) to store the full recovery image. This means you can always restore to this image and it never gets altered. The stock Linx image is actually quite large as it also includes Microsoft Office (over 1GB extra there) so this takes up almost 5GB. That 32GB is now down to 24GB and you've not even got to the installed part!

WIMBoot is quite clever, and that it uses the recovery partition to load most of the Windows system files. However, as you're probably aware, Windows likes lots of updates. And when a file gets updated it renders the one stored in the recovery partition obsolete. You eventually get two of the same file stored on that 32GB drive. One fixed in the recovery partition, and then the newer one actually stored on the part of the drive you can see.

The older the base recovery file is, the more space you'll lose as a result of the recovery partition files being out of date. Out of the box, you're generally left with around 19GB of usable space.
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

by azza24 » June 20th, 2015, 8:00 pm

i need a windows 8.1 with bing recovery lol i may have to take this windows 8.1 pro off but unfortunately i have no recovery image
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by nememo » June 20th, 2015, 8:04 pm

I am working on getting a simple click and go recovery made available but I'm away from home this weekend and then I need to sort out the bug that's stopping the USB stick from booting. It's not going to be ready before tuesday at the earliest!

You do have two immediate options:
1) Use Bodge99's restore method. This involves booting Linux and restoring the eMMC to EXACTLY as it came out the factory - bit for bit.

2) There is a version of WInBing out there which will work on the Linx tablets. It's a raw install from Microsoft, so you WILL need drivers, and you'll also need a USB hub, keyboard and mouse to do the recovery as the drivers for the touchscreen aren't installed.
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

by azza24 » June 20th, 2015, 8:07 pm

ok i will await your reply for the simple click and restore many thanks for your valued help
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by nememo » June 22nd, 2015, 7:12 pm

Just a quick update, I've got the LINX 8 recovery ISO working and it's ready to go. I'm uploading to a file host now albeit at 100kB/s on a 5GB file! Should be ready tomorrow.

Simply flash to USB (I'll give you instructions) and boot from the tablet via USB (i'll show you the quick way on the Linx 8 too).

This is ONLY for the LInx 8. I need the Linx 7 and 10 recovery WIM to create a packaged recovery ISO for those devices.
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

by azza24 » June 22nd, 2015, 8:09 pm

That is fantastic work thank you so so much it means I can finely have my linx 8 working again

Thank you so much

nememo wrote:Just a quick update, I've got the LINX 8 recovery ISO working and it's ready to go. I'm uploading to a file host now albeit at 100kB/s on a 5GB file! Should be ready tomorrow.

Simply flash to USB (I'll give you instructions) and boot from the tablet via USB (i'll show you the quick way on the Linx 8 too).

This is ONLY for the LInx 8. I need the Linx 7 and 10 recovery WIM to create a packaged recovery ISO for those devices.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by azza24 » June 23rd, 2015, 6:30 pm

Can't wait to get my linx 8 back to normal
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie