Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Windows 8.1 Pro Install Image : General (Linx 8)

Windows 8.1 Pro Install Image

General chit-chat on the Linx 8

Windows 8.1 Pro Install Image

by nememo » January 11th, 2015, 1:39 pm

Windows 8.1 Pro for Linx 8

USB Installer for Windows 8.1 Pro on Linx 8 tablet

So, the easiest way to upgrade to 8.1 Pro is to simply use the built in facility of Windows. You'll retain WIMBoot functionality and it's very simply. If for some reason you want a clean install, or you want to claw back every last inch of disk space - feel free to use this install image. It's fairly straight forward.

This is a Windows image for the Linx 8 tablet to help you upgrade to Windows 8.1. It includes all the drivers required and the latest updates, so cuts back on the amount of time required to install. The total process should take around 40 mins - depending on the speed of your USB drive.

!
Note: You still need your own Windows key to activate this - this isn't a free way of getting 8.1 Pro. You can purchase a key here: http://amzn.to/14Dlrgv

Key Features:
  • Up to date image (as 9-Jan-2015)
  • WIMBoot enabled (3.46GB recovery partition / 25.44GB Main partition of which 22.0GB free)
  • USB Recovery Environment drivers installed - touchscreen works - no keyboard/mouse/OTG Hub required to install
  • Restore from HDD working - reinstall without needing the USB key again
  • Win 8.1 Pro - You need to add your own key via system settings
  • UK Localised
  • All drivers included
  • Linx OEM branding included

There are TWO methods to install this.

Option 1: Use this if you have a working Windows 8.1 install on your Linx 8.

Option 2: Use this if you do not have a usable Windows install on your Linx 8.

Option 1 is the easiest option, and should be available for most users. Option 2 is only used if you have completely lost the ability to boot Windows and you are unable to restore. It requires a bit more work and it's not as straight forward to do.

Last edited by nememo on February 22nd, 2015, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Windows 8.1 Pro Install Image

by Dann » January 14th, 2015, 5:30 pm

Stickied this for you!
Dann
Admin
Founder/Admin
Founder/Admin

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Staples UK
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

by westonpf » January 21st, 2015, 10:06 am

I'm interested in doing this for the Linx10 and on another (non Linx) tablet for business use (AD); I would also like to max out the free space once all apps/updates/drivers are installed which suggests a fresh install.

Did you wipe the whole drive and then start from scratch using WinPE/DISM to create the necessary install.wim file that you have provided for the Linx 8?

Any advice appreciated.
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Argos

by nememo » January 21st, 2015, 9:42 pm

Yeah, I started from scratch AFTER creating a couple of recovery drives. Installed initially from a standard install image, using the usual Windows install method. I applied all updates and installed all drivers (and all subsequent reboots) until I got a stable installation that didn't need any further work - then ran sysprep with the generalise option.

Booted into WinPE and captured the sysprepped image. Copy the image over to a PC then clean the image, optimise for wimboot and so forth using dism. Then it was a case altering the files on the recovery drive - replace the stock image with the custom one, and then edit the file that creates the partitions to the size you need for your new image, Then simply boot from the recovery drive and "Reset your PC" takes care of applying the image.

A couple of things: You can always use the stock Linx image and change it to Pro. I chose not to as it weighed in at over 5GB - rather than cut it down, I started with a clean image and added nothing but the basics (drivers and updates). The stock image actually includes Office in there taking up over 1GB - valuable space when you only have 29GB!
My Linx 8 will only boot from strict UEFI USB media - so GPT and FAT32. Your image may be over the FAT32 file size limit so you'll need a 2nd NTFS USB drive (or MicroSD card if you don't have a hub) in order to save the image.
Regarding your WinPE image, you don't have to create your own and integrate the necessary drivers - you can use the one that is made when creating a recovery drive. Just remember the wim file will have the hidden attribute - I think it's either boot.wim or winre.wim in the Sources folder on the USB drive.

Hope that helps!
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

by westonpf » January 22nd, 2015, 4:42 am

Thanks for the feedback. That was the approach I was aiming for, I stumbled on the 4GB issue when my install.wim weighed in at 4.15GB. I have WinPE and all of the install files. I was going to sysprep and image direct from the Linx once everything is installed. I was actually planning on installing Ofiice before building the image to see if that helped to reduce space.
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

by tonyyeb » January 27th, 2015, 3:25 pm

I assume this should work exactly the same for the Linx 7 too?
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: ShopTo

by nememo » January 27th, 2015, 3:28 pm

No. Different device with different drivers.

You may be able to get the base install working, and install the Linx 7 drivers manually however.
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tonyyeb » January 27th, 2015, 4:16 pm

nememo wrote:No. Different device with different drivers.

You may be able to get the base install working, and install the Linx 7 drivers manually however.

Ok thanks for that. Is there a way to just do a fresh install using the Windows 8.1 Pro DVD / ISO?
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: ShopTo

by westonpf » January 27th, 2015, 4:58 pm

tonyyeb wrote:
nememo wrote:No. Different device with different drivers.

Ok thanks for that. Is there a way to just do a fresh install using the Windows 8.1 Pro DVD / ISO?

Use Rufus to make a bootable Windows 8.1 installer, boot from the USB thumb drive and install from scratch in the same way as you would for any fresh install. Wipe the whole drive before installing but don't forget to backup the recovery partition first (although some users have reported problems restoring from recovery. You will need to use a keyboard/mouse plugged in to the USB port until you have installed the drivers to get touch screen etc working.

There is some software call Zipmagic that claims to create a WimBoot installation; I've not tried it so can't vouch for it and it is paid software; alternatively you could try to create your own WimBoot (or just boot like a normal PC)

You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

by tonyyeb » January 27th, 2015, 6:36 pm

That's fab, thanks. Ill probably give Rufus a go
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie